Memory leak with previous adjustment brush history

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braders

I have noticed since 3.2 the memory leaks when using the adjustment brush, but it has been tolerable until the last week or so. I have found a specific behavior in the Develop module that makes LR unusable.

Scrolling through images and making minor changes i discovered what appears as a serious memory leak.

1. Image with NO history of adjustment brush develop changes - normal.
2. Image with a history of adjustment brush develop changes - LR grinds to a halt and the dreaded "LR is not responding" appears to the point i have to force close LR.

This is repeatable with every image in my entire catalogue that has a adjustment brush develop change.lrcat optimized 3 days ago. No other applications open on the PC. Adjustment brush closed. Attaches is an example of what happens when i change from one image to another, dependent on the develop history.

Last edited:
Brad, do you fancy trying 3.3RC which is on labs.adobe.com? See if it solves it for you.

[quote author=Victoria Bampton link=topic=11611.msg7794'#msg7794' date=1289772548]
Brad, do you fancy trying 3.3RC which is on labs.adobe.com? See if it solves it for you.
[/quote]

Not really!

I don't seem to have much luck with RC versions. Twice bitten, thrice forgataboutit.

Well it's been in RC for a few weeks now, so the proper release shouldn't be far off.

Hi Victoria

I have upgraded and unfortunately this bug is worse than before.

Whether the adjustment brush is open or not, if any image in my catalog has a development adjustment brush history, when in the develop module, LR grinds to halt and is unusable.

Here is a 3 minute example of what happens - i made some exposure -ve adjustments on 4 or 5 small areas and then came the inevitable delayed reaction.

http://vimeo.com/20711061

Brad, can you try a clean catalog and see if you see the same.

Brad, can you try a clean catalog and see if you see the same.

Would love to do some testing, but the creation of a new cat has opened a few other can's or worms. Half (edit - all!!) my collections are gone (any suggestions?) and interestingly, LR seems to have purged all unused keywords.

Man this software program can drive me nuts!

Last edited:
Ok, so the memory leak and non-functioning LR has gone with a new catalog!

Only tested it on a few images and no issues - nice and fast.

Will continue testing over coming days and report back. Now to figure out the lost collections.

Brad,

I guess you were re-importing your images into the new catalog? I guess Victorias advice was only to check in a new catalog with some test files so far.

To get your old data over into a new catalog, try creating another new catalog, and then import your original catalog with function "File/Import from Catalog". Under "File Handling" in the import dialog, choose "Add new photos to catalog without moving".

Beat

Ok, that at least narrows it down to the catalog, that's good. Don't worry, you don't have to carry on with the new catalog, I just wanted to see if it was specific to the catalog.

Now, is this a catalog upgraded from 2.x? Have you tried trashing the previews since the upgrade? There were some reports with the early upgrades and clean previews and optimizing brought it back up to speed.

Sorry for chiming in, Vic. I'll leave the field to you now :)

Beat

You carry on Beat, 2 heads are better than 1!

Ok, that at least narrows it down to the catalog, that's good. Don't worry, you don't have to carry on with the new catalog, I just wanted to see if it was specific to the catalog.

Now, is this a catalog upgraded from 2.x? Have you tried trashing the previews since the upgrade? There were some reports with the early upgrades and clean previews and optimizing brought it back up to speed.

No, i upgraded to 3 not long after its arrival and 3.3 a few weeks ago.

Brad,

I guess you were re-importing your images into the new catalog? I guess Victorias advice was only to check in a new catalog with some test files so far.

To get your old data over into a new catalog, try creating another new catalog, and then import your original catalog with function "File/Import from Catalog". Under "File Handling" in the import dialog, choose "Add new photos to catalog without moving".

Beat

Cheers Beat.

Actually, this is exactly how i did it!

Have just started another one to see if the same thing happens. get back to you.

No, i upgraded to 3 not long after its arrival and 3.3 a few weeks ago.

So it was an upgrade from 2.x to 3.0 then? The preview system was rebuilt and some upgrades caused weird problems.

Try this... find the catalog on the hard drive, close LR, rename the previews file. Open LR and select all and go to Previews > Render Standard Previews (just do a chunk at a time if you like) and see if that works better. If so, make sure that all of the previews are rebuilt and then trash the old renamed previews file.

Ya know, there are times i could ring up and abuse Adobe, and today is one of those times.

It's about time they got there act together and ironed out the kinks in the program once and for all.

So, let me start from the top.

1st - Original cat - crap adjustment brush.
2nd - made a new catalog - but no collections present and all unused keywords purged in the process
3rd - trashed that and the original catalog
4th - open a back up of original cat from 3 days prior - viola, adjustment brush works great, all keywords and collection present....but!

Now i have 100's of images with the random exclamation mark 'the metadata for the image has been changes by both LR and an another application......etc"

So.2 questions. How do filter all the images with this exlcaimation and then do I 'import setting from disc' or 'overwrite from those of the Cat"???

ggrrr

Oh dear Brad, you are having a time of it.

Ok, so 3 day old backup's good. Great. Are you happy with the pictures in LR, that LR has the right settings? If so, select all and overwrite the settings in the files.

Oh dear Brad, you are having a time of it.

Ok, so 3 day old backup's good. Great. Are you happy with the pictures in LR, that LR has the right settings? If so, select all and overwrite the settings in the files.

Done...back to normal.

Oh man, Adobe have got to do something to iron out the kinks in this program. Look at all the issues on all the forums!

Forum posts aren't really a great guide to how well the software works unfortunately, because all the happy people don't tend to post. The forums are usually busy, but then, LR's pretty popular software, so it probably evens out.

Anyway, really pleased you're back to normal!

Forum posts aren't really a great guide to how well the software works unfortunately, because all the happy people don't tend to post. The forums are usually busy, but then, LR's pretty popular software, so it probably evens out.

Anyway, really pleased you're back to normal!

Maybe, but there just seems to be far more issues with 3. We went quite a while with a very stable 2.7 where i rarely had to visit here, and when i did the activity posting about quirky issues seems far less.

Cheers for the help as usual.

We went quite a while with a very stable 2.7 where i rarely had to visit here, ...

Just wait until 3.7 is out ;)

Visitors here are always welcome anyway, regardless of the number of bugs still in a release ...

Beat

Hate to bring this up again, but Lr is doing the same old crash and burn.

This time however, i see a potential glitch.

After soome significant adjustment brushes (4 pins and hundreds of strokes), LR ground to a halt, started producing not responding with white out screen at 100%cpu.

Had to stop LR after 1hr and 40 minutes! and come back the following day once i had calmed down. Upon returning to LR, specifically that image in library module, LR started again with white out screen, spinning beach balls and not responding for 18 minutes. All i did was open LR.

Eventually, in grid view, the exclamation mark presented itself "LR metdata was changed by another program.....etc....do u want to overight from disk or the catalogue". But, i hadn't. Despite overwriting the metadta and restarting LR, when i return to this image, LR stops working and goes into freefall.

Somehow, there is a write failure to theDNG file on disc and this is boggin down LR. I swithced off Save to xmp and went into devlop and made a few spot removals, and although slow (like 5 spots/20seconds behind the clicks), LR did catch up.

Brad,

I wonder if these delays are perhaps due to LR updating the jpeg previews in your DNG files. I came across a similar problem a long time ago using an extension to Bridge called Rapid Fixer that is similar to the quick develop in LR. When using it on DNG files with update previews turned on it caused very similar behavior to what you are describing. Every adjustment triggered a complete rewrite of the DNG file and when I tried a whole series in a row as you have described it brought my Bridge in my case to a standstill.

You may also want to turn off update DNG previews and see if that speeds things up for you.

-louie

Brad,

I wonder if these delays are perhaps due to LR updating the jpeg previews in your DNG files. I came across a similar problem a long time ago using an extension to Bridge called Rapid Fixer that is similar to the quick develop in LR. When using it on DNG files with update previews turned on it caused very similar behavior to what you are describing. Every adjustment triggered a complete rewrite of the DNG file and when I tried a whole series in a row as you have described it brought my Bridge in my case to a standstill.

You may also want to turn off update DNG previews and see if that speeds things up for you.

-louie

I think you mean rewrite of the DNG files XMP data, and not the previews?

If you do indeed mean the previews, then where does one 'turn off' DNG preview updating?

Now i think about it might be both! Where the xmp date has to written to the DNG file and catalogue (not on the same drive), while updating the preview to show the develop changes.

Last edited:
I don't believe there is anything to turn off. But may be wrong!! It is a menu item to invoke the update, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back