• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Memory for M1 Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkrm

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
My apologies if this has already been asked. I tried searching for "M1 Mac", both with and without quotes, but the search system says the terms are too short.

Anyway, I am looking to buy an M1 Mac. I can get one today if I go with the standard 8 GB of memory. If I want 16 GB, as I have in my current machine, I'll have to wait several weeks and pay $200 more. So my question: Is the extra memory really needed? I have heard that these new machines use memory more efficiently of something, so that 8 GB is as good as the old 16 GB. But I'd like to hear from someone who has actually run Lightroom, and maybe Photoshop, on an M1 Mac.

I am waiting on Apple to construct and deliver the M1iMac that I have ordered. I’ll be waiting 6 weeks.
16GB do RAM is the maximum available. If it is not the minimum required now, it will be in a few years. If 32GB were offered, I would have ordered that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Working on the assumption that 16gb is the minimum then a reduction in ssd size would be the required compromise for myself.
Therefore getting 16gb Ram and a 256gb disk size. Would that allow adequate space for iMac software plus Lightroom CC and leave space for storage whilst waiting until external ssd could be purchased at a later date.
Rob

Working on the assumption that 16gb is the minimum then a reduction in ssd size would be the required compromise for myself.
Therefore getting 16gb Ram and a 256gb disk size. Would that allow adequate space for iMac software plus Lightroom CC and leave space for storage whilst waiting until external ssd could be purchased at a later date.
Rob

Disk size is critical for image storage. Either included in the primary disk (1TB minimum IMO) Or plans on mounting an external disk for data. 256GB is barely enough for the Operating system, app executables and Working storage (100GB of free space)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My photo requirements will be based on using jpgs from my Olympus Pen F Although I might start using raw again with new iMac.
With that in mind would I find it better to go 8gb and increase the storage size. I am not ready to push budget higher.
Rob

My photo requirements will be based on using jpgs from my Olympus Pen F Although I might start using raw again with new iMac.
With that in mind would I find it better to go 8gb and increase the storage size. I am not ready to push budget higher.
Rob
IMO, no. I think you will need both or will at some point regret the decision to skimp to RAM and storage. 256GB SSD is simply not adequate for file intensive apps like Lightroom. I think Apple's intended audience is the casual user that uses iCloud for their storage of photos and data files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back