• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Mayday: Sync'd photos from Classic to Cloud. Tried LR CC Now I want to go back

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbx33

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 8.4 [ 201908011719-03751b60 ]
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
to LR Classic, and I don't know where my pictures are, exactly. I mean, I can go to the LR Classic files on my HD and they all seem to be there, but what was all that talk when I was trying LR CC about Smart Previews -- is that what was uploaded when I set my Classic to sync?

And can I just delete LR CC completely (using Adobe Creative Cloud app) without having any impact on my intstalled very of LR Classic and its pictures (27K of them)?

I'm sure I've not provided enough info, but need help and will try to supply more if instructed,

Many thanks,

If you synced images from LR Classic, then your files are still exactly where they were....when you sync to the cloud from Classic, only Smart Previews of those images are uploaded to the cloud. So you can carry on using Classic as before,

In terms of the smart previews that are in the cloud, you need to decide what you want to do with them. Uninstalling the Lightroom Desktop app (cloud version) has no effect on the cloud contents, if you want to delete all those smart previews from the cloud the easiest way is to go to the Lightroom Classic Preferences>Lightroom Sync tab and click on "Delete All Synced Data" and follow the prompts.

But is deleting all the data what you want to do? You can carry on running Classic and sync some or all of your images to the cloud, which allows you access to those images from your smartphone or tablet (or any browser).

Thanks, this is helpful to me, as I'm still confused by all the warnings about not being able to run Classic and LR CC together. I don't quite get that.

I have reinstalled CC and I like it because it picks up all iPhone pix from the Apple Photos app, whereas Classic doesn't (at least I don't know how to make it do this automatically).

Also because I use IOS LR on iPad Pro. I don't quite understand the relationship between the iPad Pro version and LR CC, though they seem to share all files/pix.

Ideal for me would be to run LR Classic on Mac, and occasionally LR CC, and also LR on iPad and have everything update from whichever source to the other two versions. Wondering if this is possible.

Also, I want to keep originals on AT LEAST the Mac, which is backed up multiply to external HD, via Backblaze, and to Time Machine.

I appreciate you time and your help.

Ideal for me would be to run LR Classic on Mac, and occasionally LR CC, and also LR on iPad and have everything update from whichever source to the other two versions. Wondering if this is possible.

Yes, you can, with some warnings:

Classic only syncs up smaller smart previews, so it’s not a backup
Classic is a hoarder, it’ll pull down anything new it finds in the cloud, but stuff you delete from the cloud will only be marked as unsynced in Classic.
Some metadata doesn’t sync between Cloud and Classic. Most notably, keywords and people added in the cloud apps won’t sync down to Classic, and vice versa.

So if you’re going to use them together, keep Classic as your primary source. You can sync smart previews up to the cloud to edit on your iPad, and any new photos you add to the cloud apps will sync down into Classic.

One other warning - if the photos currently in Cloudy are duplicates of photos in Classic, and they were imported into the cloudy desktop app (as opposed to being synced up from Classic), then turning on Classic sync might pull down duplicates, so take backups before you enable sync in Classic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back