• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • It's Lightroom update time again! Just the usual new cameras, lens profiles and bug fixes. See this blog post for Lightroom Classic and this blog post for the Lightroom Cloud Ecosystem changes. If you use a custom monitor profile on macOS, note that the Classic performance bug is not yet fixed.

Matching colour rendition between two photos

dominique.gascon

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Classic version 10.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I am in the process of scanning old colour photos and I encountered an interesting problem. In the middle of an event, I ran out of Kodachrome 64 and inserted a Kodak Gold 100ASA. The colour rendition of the same scene between the two films is shockingly different. The Kodachrome is more vivid and looks more natural. The most obvious difference is the wall colour (a golden yellow in the former), an ugly greenish-brown in the latter. The Kodachrome rendition seems closer to the original colour (even it is certainly not a perfect rendition), and closer to my recollection (that was 30 years ago) of the locale. Except for the film, everything else (camera, lens, flash, scanner, software) is the same.

Is there a way to make Lightroom match the colour rendition of a photo based on a sample from another. I used the Color grading wheel, for midtones to adjust using the wall colour as a reference, but it is difficult top predict where you are going to end up, and because the wheels on screen are small, a minute movement of the mouse has a significant effect. I managed to improve them somehow, but the result is oversaturated and too golden.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Lightroom does not have anything automatic. What you could do is create a special profile for both films, using LUTs that you create in Photoshop. Photoshop has more automatic options, so creating those LUTs in Photoshop (and then creating a profile from it in Camera Raw) is probably a little easier than trying to match the colors in Lightroom. How to Make Custom Camera Raw Profiles for Lightroom & Photoshop

In order to make the profile work for non-raw images, in Camera Raw right-click on it while holding the Alt-key and choose ‘Rename Profile’.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
First let me say that Kodachrome is the only film that would bring me back to analogue photography, and I miss it terribly. Second, I agree with Johan regarding his solution; that is pretty much what I would do in the this circumstance. The differences between slide and negative formats to begin with are extreme, which was also part of the marketing and why people picked one over the other for the purposes at hand. All that being said, the better you scan them, the more latitude you'll have in making them match.

On a purely subjective note, I find that being pushed into an aesthetic corner because the limitations of a film or a file can be an opportunity to expand one's sense of what makes for an acceptable image.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
A short cut may work and not require LUT programming - but also may not do what you want. If you can find a color neutral object that appears in shots from both films (white table cloth on the same table?) you could try white balancing using the WB eyedropper on that object from a Kodachrome image and copy that WB to all the other Kodachrome images and then repeat for the Gold film images.

Another approach could be to open a Gold image in the develop module and use the "reference" image tool to bring up a Kodachrome image of the same subject matter as a reference. Then use the WB and Tint sliders (and others as well if desired) to visually match the Gold image to the Kodachrome reference. When done, copy the changes you made to all the Gold images.

May not be as accurate as a LUT, but may work for you.