• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you ever disappointed with your photos? Do you get frustrated when you’re editing because you’ve been told to move certain sliders, but never been told WHY? Do you wish you could transform your photos without having to spend hours in front of the computer? In my new book, Adobe Lightroom CC - Edit Like a Pro, you’ll learn:
    • how to to analyze a photo like a pro, saving you hours of frustration.
    • WHY you might want to move specific sliders, instead of just following recipes.
    • what the sliders are doing behind the scenes.
    • how to use sliders together, instead of in isolation, so you can get the optimal result
    The book is based on the cloud-native Lightroom CC desktop and mobile apps, but the principles also apply to Lightroom 6 and Lightroom Classic. The sliders are arranged into slightly different panels, but there's an included PDF that shows you where to find them in Lightroom Classic/6.
  • The February 2020 Lightroom updates are now available. Lightroom Classic has a brand new Defaults system, the ability to set a specific monitor for the secondary window and PSB format support. Lightroom (cloud-based service) has the ability to import presets on Android, DNG export and Split View support on iPadOS. The Missing FAQ and Edit Like a Pro eBooks are already updated for the changes.

Matching color across multiple images?

Pyrogerg

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Is there a way to match a particular color across multiple images in Lightroom (or Photoshop CS5)? The common scenario that's prompted me to wonder this is as follows.

I have an image with a problematic color balance and I don't have another image with the same lighting and a gray card (wouldn't be a problem if I did). The image contains an area that I could match to a properly balanced image, e.g. a piece of clothing, or better yet the same individual's skin tone. So I want to tell the software, this area in image A should have the same color as that area in image B, please adjust the color balance for the whole image to make it so.

This seems so useful that I suspect it's a standard function that I've simply overlooked from my low vantage on the learning curve.

Mark Sirota

Lightroom Experience
Power User
That does seem useful, but no, there's no standard way to do that except for neutrals. You could mouse over the area in the "good" photo and check the RGB values under the histogram, then go to the "bad" photo and tweak the WB sliders to match, but that's a painful manual process.

You might consider filing a feature request over on the official forum (there's a link in the grey bar at the top of the page).

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
You might want to look at the "Match Color" command in Photoshop. It looks like it might help you.

Hal

Pyrogerg

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Thanks, Hal. I'll check that out as soon as I have a chance. I just downloaded Photoshop CS6 beta yesterday, the first Photoshop I've used since version 2 when I dabbled in digital before deciding to stay with film for a while. I have so much to learn now and so little time to work through tutorials/books/etc. Sigh.