• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Masking Question about inverting

Status
Not open for further replies.

newmoon

Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
  2. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
I have read (albeit quite quickly at the moment) the additional chapter on masking in The Missing FAQ but am struggling with the following:
If I create a mask of the background surrounding a tree, that consists of two selections/components (color range + brush), how can I copy the mask and then invert it so I have the tree masked and the background unmasked?
I may be wrong but I think I only managed to invert one selection/component, not the whole mask.
Thanks for any help on this.

Hi

Check page H20 of your updated book - it explains how to invert the whole mask made up of multiple selections.

Hi

Check page H20 of your updated book - it explains how to invert the whole mask made up of multiple selections.
Thank you Paul and that does it.
Incidentally how do I see the page numbers H20 etc. in the book on Kindle (either Kindle Desktop or Kindle for iPhone)? I couldn't find them anywehere and found the page by seeing a hyperlink to H18 and guessing H20 would be shortly after that (which it was).

I note we missed having an index entry for Masking > Invert, I'll add it to our list for a later update.

But yes, I always find Kindle more challenging to find pages due to the reflowable text!

I note we missed having an index entry for Masking > Invert, I'll add it to our list for a later update.

But yes, I always find Kindle more challenging to find pages due to the reflowable text!
Thank you and agree with Kindle!
I've just being trying to copy and invert a mask with one component (brush) and could only get it to work properly if I inverted the brush component first, then copied the layer, then went back to the original layer and inverted it back,
It didn't work properly if I copied the mask first and then inverted the brush component in the copied layer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back