• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Masking Person and retouch background

Status
Not open for further replies.

phrank

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 13 Ventura
Hi, I’m wondering a bit about the new masking functions. It's great to let the AI do the seleting and masking magic, but I wonder how to retouch a masked background. So far I couldn't find a tutorial, for my needs. I can blur and do colour edits to the background, but not retouch it.

In my case I have a masked person in the foreground staying in front of a framed picture at a white background.

How to work in the background only and stamp, or content aware fill it and get rid off this "framed picture" in the background without unselect this mask? If i switch to the stamp or content aware tool, I get off the masked area…

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-27 at 22.18.05.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-27 at 22.18.05.png
    134 KB · Views: 56
Why use Masking at all? Just use the clone option?

Failing that, in Ps, it's an easy enough task.

Why use Masking at all? Just use the clone option?

Failing that, in Ps, it's an easy enough task.
Hi Paul, thanks for your reply, but I've tried and it doesn't worked so well.
That's why i wonder if it’s not possible to clone something from the background while some parts are masked.

I understand. Personally, I'd open in Ps, use Select Subject (it uses the same AI as LrC) and save as a new layer. Then you can easily clone on the original layer without the Subject being affected (assume this is what you're aiming for)

I understand. Personally, I'd open in Ps, use Select Subject (it uses the same AI as LrC) and save as a new layer. Then you can easily clone on the original layer without the Subject being affected (assume this is what you're aiming for)
Hi, yes, like you have said it's easy in Ps, but I wish it's also easy in Lr without saving the image in a new format. I like to stay in the nodestructive Lr workflow. Seems like they haven't included it, otherwise you don't need to use Ps anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back