• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Map module map zoom doesn't update and sticks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Naylor

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Operating System: macOS 10.13.1
Exact Lightroom Version (Help menu > System Info): Lightroom Classic version: 7.0.1

Since "upgrading" to Classic, I'm having problems in the Map module. After clicking the zoom slider a couple of time to get closer, it stops zooming and sticks. ie the slider stops working. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Works fine for me on Windows. Does your mouse have a wheel? If so, do you have the same problem when you zoom with the wheel? How about the '-' and '=' shortcuts?

No it‘s not. It‘s a bug. I’ve read on the adobe forum, that it’s already confirmed by adobe and on the fix list.
I find this bug really annoying and asked myself if they have tested the map module at all before releasing Classic

No it‘s not. It‘s a bug. I’ve read on the adobe forum, that it’s already confirmed by adobe and on the fix list.
I find this bug really annoying and asked myself if they have tested the map module at all before releasing Classic

Thanks for the info. Yet another fix needed for the Map module!

The issue has been fixed with the last update
Thanks for the info, Farah. I hadn't noticed as I'm currently migrating to Photo Supreme whilst praying for some other company to come up with a stand alone Mac only Digital Asset Manager - hopefully one that can manage more file types, such as GIF, PNG, TXT and Pixelmator Pro.

as I'm currently migrating to Photo Supreme
Be aware that an one man company is extremely vulnerable.
A few years ago he made IdImager, a very promising application but overnight it has been axed by the developer and replaced with something that was much scaled-down at the time: Photo Supreme.

Be aware that an one man company is extremely vulnerable.
Yes, I am fully aware of this but for the moment it’s helping me sort through the mess I’ve created over many years in Lightroom. Adobe show no interest to improve the DAM features. It doesn’t even comply with the XMP specifications they themselves invented. I’m still looking for a more permenant home for ALL my assets.

Yes, I am fully aware of this but for the moment it’s helping me sort through the mess I’ve created over many years in Lightroom. Adobe show no interest to improve the DAM features. It doesn’t even comply with the XMP specifications they themselves invented. I’m still looking for a more permenant home for ALL my assets.

Mike, in what way does Adobe not comply with the XMP specification? I know that they don't support custom metadata, but Lightroom XMP files were completely interoperable with Photo Supreme XMP files, in my experience. I used a Windows-only tool called XML Notepad 2007. Download XML Notepad 2007 from Official Microsoft Download Center. It works fine under Windows 10. Using this tool, I saw that if LR imported an XMP file from Photo Supreme, and then wrote out the same file, all the information from Photo Supreme would be preserved, but the order of individual elements would be changed. However, there was no impact on the contents of the individual elements.

For a while, I tried to develop a workflow based on the combination of Photo Supreme and Lightroom, but eventually decided that the extra effort wasn't justified. As a one man company, resources are extremely limited, and there are frequent releases that are just bug fixes. Also, Photo Supreme suffers from a very poor user interface and completely insufficient documentation. I don't have enough experience with iMatch, but I also looked at Daminion, which I found lacked important capabilities, for example in renaming photos.

Overall, I wish that a DAM-only product vendor would create a plug-in for Lightroom, rather than forcing users to work with two distinct products. Wiht a plug-in they can focus their work on extending LR's functionaly, not having to duplicate it in their separate product.

Phil

in what way does Adobe not comply with the XMP specification?
Hi Phil, I forgot you'd be reading my rants!

The one thing Hert is good at is sticking to standards, or so I'm told. One thing I do notice is that executing his "Convert EXIF to XMP" command on an image from LR does make a differance. I'm also finding that round tripping a PSD from PSu apparently removes the create date - until I run that "Convert EXIF to XMP" command again.

Thirdly, opening a DNG from PSu into Photoshop opens it via Camera Raw as expected, but then saving it as a PSD or TIF removes the EXIF data from the DNG. Again, making it necessary to run the "Convert EXIF to XMP" command again.

However, importing PSu managed files into Media Pro SE looses the correct create date - until one executes the MP script "IPTC Date from Capture Date" (possibly indicating PSu isn't doing everything I thought is did).

I'm not an expert on EXIF, IPTC or XMP. I'm just looking for something better than LR that's able to manage more file types so I can get my life organised in to one place. Surely that's what databases are for, right?

I'm sure PSu won't be my final solution and I may well return to LR if nothing better turns up, but that's exactly what Adobe would expect. Have you tried AfterShot Pro 3?

Hi Phil, I forgot you'd be reading my rants!

The one thing Hert is good at is sticking to standards, or so I'm told. One thing I do notice is that executing his "Convert EXIF to XMP" command on an image from LR does make a differance. I'm also finding that round tripping a PSD from PSu apparently removes the create date - until I run that "Convert EXIF to XMP" command again.

Thirdly, opening a DNG from PSu into Photoshop opens it via Camera Raw as expected, but then saving it as a PSD or TIF removes the EXIF data from the DNG. Again, making it necessary to run the "Convert EXIF to XMP" command again.

However, importing PSu managed files into Media Pro SE looses the correct create date - until one executes the MP script "IPTC Date from Capture Date" (possibly indicating PSu isn't doing everything I thought is did).

Quite likely that these issues are bugs with the software. My impression is that Hert does very little in-house testing relative to the need for this work. He simply declares a "beta release" and apparnently hopes that bugs will be uncovered by users brave enough to run beta software. However, "hope" is not a very good software development strategy (or business strategy in general).
I'm not an expert on EXIF, IPTC or XMP. I'm just looking for something better than LR that's able to manage more file types so I can get my life organised in to one place. Surely that's what databases are for, right?

I'm sure PSu won't be my final solution and I may well return to LR if nothing better turns up, but that's exactly what Adobe would expect. Have you tried AfterShot Pro 3?

There is a plug-in that does allow LR to manage other digital assets, but I can't remember who is the author.

I spent some time trying to learn about metadata, including IPTC and XMP standards, etc. It's a rabbit hole with a very deep bottom.

I took a brief look at After Shot. To be honest, I am biased against Corel Software in general, because that's where "good software goes to die." The fact that they have 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Aftershot, and some plug-ins work only with the 32-bit version, that's enough for me to rule out After Shot.

Phil

Did you know that 6 of the 14 installed Adobe LR/PS Applications are 32bit? (System Information->Software->Applications)

I think you're right about Coral. They've just replied to tell me they don't support my Leica Q and have no idea when they will.

I agree with everything you say, Phil. Nevertheless, PSu is helping me sort through the LR mess in ways that LR can't. I know there are many LR plug-ins and I have several, but these extensions should have been built in by Adobe. I'm not looking for a cheaper alternative to LR, I'm looking for better Asset Management by design.

When I'm done sorting in PSu and if nothing new has appeared on the market, I'll probably return to Adobe - as a last resort. Not a very good reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back