• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Map with photo info

Status
Not open for further replies.

quantum

Lightroom Version Number
Classic 9.0
Operating System
  1. Windows 7
I'd like to show the photo picture reference numbers or at least index numbers on so I can print out a screen grab for a magazine editor. She needs to know the location on a map of the photos I've taken. Any ideas if LR can do this or any other ideas?

Assuming your image has GPS coordinates,
1) Select just that one image
2) clear Quick collection (ctrl+shift+b)
3) Add selected image to quick collection (b)
4) Switch to quick collection (ctrl+b) (only the one image is showing in grid and filmstrip)
5) Go to Map Module
6) Click on image in filmstrip to preposition map to that image if not already there
7) Take screen shot.

If Image does not have GPS coordinates, add step 5a) drag image from filmstrip to proper location on map

Assuming your image has GPS coordinates,
1) Select just that one image
2) clear Quick collection (ctrl+shift+b)
3) Add selected image to quick collection (b)
4) Switch to quick collection (ctrl+b) (only the one image is showing in grid and filmstrip)
5) Go to Map Module
6) Click on image in filmstrip to preposition map to that image if not already there
7) Take screen shot.

If Image does not have GPS coordinates, add step 5a) drag image from filmstrip to proper location on map
Thanks for the reply and sorry for my delay. I don't see how this helps at all. Firstly if you use a quick collection then in the filmstrip in maps you cannot see any other photos.
What I need is some way on a wider view of a map to show all the photos with either index number or file number referencing the photos. you method would show only one photos and so I'd need to screen grab map for every photo.

I'm still struggling on this. Mostly my biggest issue is that the android phone I was creating GPS coordinates with produced some inaccurate results due to a an error I've now fixed.
So I need to go through all my photos in LR and drag and drop the ones with missing or poor GPS coordinates. Then I would like to be able to upload the photos to a site where the editor could match photo with a map position. How do I do this? Can I share a private Google map? Any ideas?

The Viewing Photos in Google Earth feature of the Geoencoding Support Plugin creates .kml / .kmz files containing the selected photos, which you can then load into Google Earth or a private, sharable map you create at googe.com/maps. E.g.

1576569500196.png

The Viewing Photos in Google Earth feature of the Geoencoding Support Plugin creates .kml / .kmz files containing the selected photos, which you can then load into Google Earth or a private, sharable map you create at googe.com/maps. E.g.

View attachment 13624
This is exactly what I want! Thanks
How on earth do you set this plugin up to do this? I've tried and tried but the instructions are not great. I think I've configured the Google cloud bit right but not sure about the plugin. Could you show me how please?

After installing the plugin:

1. Select the photos you want to show on Google maps.

2. Do File > JF Geoencoding Support > View Selected Locations As KML.

3. Here are the options I've used:
1576696038793.png

4. Sign in to your Google account and go to google.com/maps.

5. Click the menu button in the upper-left button, click Your Places, Maps, then Create Map (at the bottom of the left column).

6. Click Import under Untitled Layer, then Select A File From Your Device, and navigate to the .kmz file you created in step 3.

After installing the plugin:

1. Select the photos you want to show on Google maps.

2. Do File > JF Geoencoding Support > View Selected Locations As KML.

3. Here are the options I've used:
View attachment 13636

4. Sign in to your Google account and go to google.com/maps.

5. Click the menu button in the upper-left button, click Your Places, Maps, then Create Map (at the bottom of the left column).

6. Click Import under Untitled Layer, then Select A File From Your Device, and navigate to the .kmz file you created in step 3.
Thanks but how do I get it to create the file. I keep getting error at bottom of screen as shown...

Attachments

• regex kml file.JPG
    regex kml file.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 261
You need to specify a full file path, e.g. /users/john/desktop/test. Click on Browse, navigate to the folder where you want to store the .kmz file, then enter a filename (e.g. "test") in the Save As box.

You need to specify a full file path, e.g. /users/john/desktop/test. Click on Browse, navigate to the folder where you want to store the .kmz file, then enter a filename (e.g. "test") in the Save As box.
Ok So it's saving the file, but when I upload is says file is too big (it isn't at 3.5mb) or is it that I've generated a KMZ file instead of a KML file?

...it says file is too big (it isn't at 3.5mb)...

A .kmz file is just a .zip file with a different extension. I think the 5 MB limit applies to the uncompressed files in the .zip. You can verify that by making a copy of the .kmz file, changing its extension to .zip, uncompressing the .zip, and checking the total size of the uncompressed folder.

Try fewer photos and see if that works for you. I've used this feature with Google Earth a bit but don't have much experience using it with Google Maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back