• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Map module Map view will be discontinued on this version of Lightroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAY-DEE PURDIE

Jay-Dee
Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic 7.4 Release
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
Just went into Lightroom and received this message ... "Starting on November 30th, 2018, Map view will no longer be supported on this version of Lightroom. For more information go to www.adobe.com/go/lightroom-map". I checked the web site and one part of the page states that product versions affected are Lightroom 5 & 4. Another part of the web page states that it applies to Lightroom CC. The workaround provided appears to be real complex ... "To see the location of an image on a map, copy the coordinates from the GPS field in the Metadata panel located at the right side in the Map module. Then, search for these coordinates on the Internet."

Anyone have any idea why Adobe is dropping support for the map? Not sure about others, but I use it regularly and often.

Curious ... Jay-Dee

I am trying to find out what is happening. I think it may be a false alarm.

As for the workaround, it must have been written by someone who doesn't use Lightroom much.... To see the location of an image on a map, Alt/Option click the arrow next to the GPS field in the Metadata panel.

John

Hi John ... thanks for your feedback. I can understand dropping map support for Lightroom 4 & 5 (gee ... do they still support those versions), but why on CC? Very curious!

And thanks for the keyboard shortcut ... didn't know about that one!

Jay-Dee

I think the message is in error. The link that explains the message clearly says it applies to Lightroom Versions 4 & 5 and you. (and I) are running LR version 7.x. I think there needs to be a check in the code for LR version before the message is displayed. It has been known for some time that the Google API used by LR4&5 has been retired. AFAIK LR Classic uses the newer Google Map API or will be updated to use it.

When it says "this version" it means 7.4 (and no doubt the error message will also crop up on older versions).

A 7.x update will be released shortly that will remove the error message for subscribers, and offer continued Map support.

While I understand that 7.4 might be affected, the link in the popup "Map is no longer supported in this version of Lightroom" States only LR4 & LR5. No mention of LR6 or LR Classic 7.0-7.4. Either the message is in error OR (now the more likely) the Link information is in error.
Product versions affected
Lightroom 4 and Lightroom 5
Operating system
Windows and macOS

Another move by Adobe to prove their ineptness.

While I understand that 7.4 might be affected, the link in the popup "Map is no longer supported in this version of Lightroom" States only LR4 & LR5. No mention of LR6 or LR Classic 7.0-7.4. Either the message is in error OR (now the more likely) the Link information is in error.

Another move by Adobe to prove their ineptness.
Actually, at the top of the page, in small letters on the right:

Applies to: Photoshop Lightroom Classic CC
Last Published: July 12, 2018

OK, you wouldn't shed any tears. It isn't a gimmick though, and to describe it as such is indeed nonsense.

Not a gimmick if you're anything like a location scout, for instance.
Not a gimmick if someone has memory issues and wants to know where they took their photos.

Or how about this: Why Geotagging Photos is Important to Me

Or this: The Why and How of Adding GPS Information To Your Photos | Blog.JimDoty.com
"
A rapidly growing number of photographers are finding it handy to have GPS coordinates for their images, and more and more photo editors are asking for GPS information.
You aren’t going to wonder where you were when you took a picture of the Golden Gate Bridge. But sooner or later you are going to look at a photo and wonder which Colorado back road you were on. GPS info in the metadata will help you out.
GPS is also helpful for marketing your work. There are popular photo sharing sites (Flickr, Google+, Picasa, Tumblr, and SmugMug) that use GPS information in the metadata to show photos by location on a map. When I am on Google Earth, little photo icons show up to indicate photos people have taken from that location. If you want people to find your photos based on location, geotagging your images is a good idea. Some day a tourist will be at the Maroon Bells and the light will be terrible. If they go looking on a site with geotagged images to buy a print of the Maroon Bells, you want your photo to show up. Photo editors also look for photos of specific locations via geotagged images on a map.
"

You can have all the GPS information you like but it is NOT necessary to basically have google earth built into Lightroom in order see where on earth you took a photo.

You can have all the GPS information you like but it is NOT necessary to basically have google earth built into Lightroom in order see where on earth you took a photo.
Correct…Adobe agrees with you, and that’s why the Map module has only a very tiny subset of the features available in Google Earth. All that Google does for the Map module is provide the map; the rest of the Map module are Lightroom features. It’s nothing more extravagant than the online map you get when you pull out your phone and tap the location option in the Contacts app, the Instagram app, a photography location scouting/ephemeris app, etc.

Using an online map service means an entire detailed map of the world doesn't have to be stored locally on your computer whether you use it or not. It only has to serve up the little pieces you need at the time.

Correct…Adobe agrees with you, and that’s why the Map module has only a very tiny subset of the features available in Google Earth. All that Google does for the Map module is provide the map; the rest of the Map module are Lightroom features. It’s nothing more extravagant than the online map you get when you pull out your phone and tap the location option in the Contacts app, the Instagram app, a photography location scouting/ephemeris app, etc.

Using an online map service means an entire detailed map of the world doesn't have to be stored locally on your computer whether you use it or not. It only has to serve up the little pieces you need at the time.

Yeah, but using Google API was probably a poor choice on Adobe's part. I have been using Google Map for a few years on some side projects, the API and features change on a regular basis. It is not a very stable platform. A better choice would either have using Open Street Map OpenStreetMap which they could host their own server if desired, or Microsoft BING. Both of which have been significantly more stable for an API interface.

Tim

Yeah, but using Google API was probably a poor choice on Adobe's part. I have been using Google Map for a few years on some side projects, the API and features change on a regular basis. It is not a very stable platform. A better choice would either have using Open Street Map OpenStreetMap which they could host their own server if desired, or Microsoft BING. Both of which have been significantly more stable for an API interface.
Interestingly enough, Lightroom CC uses OpenStreetMap...

Actually, at the top of the page, in small letters on the right:

Last Published: July 12, 2018
Actually, that does not say that Map module will affect Lightroom Classic Today, there is a new version of the page and Lightroom Classic is still not included. The part of the webpage that I quoted above now reads
Product versions affected
  • Lightroom 4.x and Lightroom 5.x
  • Lightroom CC 2015.x/Lightroom 6.x (Starting on November 30, 2018)
Operating system
Windows and macOS
No mention here of Lightroom Classic. If Lightroom 7.4 and earlier is affected, it should be included here below the reference to "Lightroom CC 2015.x/Lightroom 6.x". The small print still reads:
Last Published: August 21, 2018

True enough, but +1 to Clee01 when he said:
But sooner or later you are going to look at a photo and wonder which Colorado back road you were on. GPS info in the metadata will help you out.
For a lot of the photography I do, which is semi-documentary, knowing the exact location is important for historical reasons. Back in my film days, I used to carry around a notebook and compulsively record locations. Sometimes I didn't succeed and once even lost a notebook.
When I got my Nikon DSLR, the firwst thing I did was buy a third-party GPS, which plugged into the Nikon 10-pin connector. Eventually the wires frayed, so I got another one. These units are not cheap, but to me there is real value in having GPS coordinates recorded in the metadata of the image.

That metadata is useful only if I can bring up a map to see the location of a photo (or group of photos), as part of my overall workflow.

Phil Burton

Human nature is sometimes, well, downright funny and always interesting. I started this post yesterday because when I opened the map module of Lightroom Classic CC, I received a message that the map module would be discontinued in my (i.e., current) version of the Lightroom software. Since then there have been some great responses as to why this might be and that perhaps the message is in error. But in the past 24 hours, the message thread has seemed to change from one of "is this a problem or not" to a philosophical issue (I use the term loosely) of whether or not the map module is worthwhile.

Any chance that people can focus on whether or not this issue will be resolved, and place less focus on whether or not the map module is needed? For the people who do not want or do not use the map module, well, that's your choice and I have no issues with that choice. I for one make extensive use of the map module for what I do in photography, and I know of others who also find it useful.

Let's focus please on the issue I originally posted?

Thanks ... Jay-Dee

That's in the nature of forums, and in this one you may gain from the quality of the digressions.

The original issue is resolved - as has been said, Adobe isn't dropping Map and the message was an error.

Human nature is sometimes, well, downright funny and always interesting. I started this post yesterday because when I opened the map module of Lightroom Classic CC, I received a message that the map module would be discontinued in my (i.e., current) version of the Lightroom software. Since then there have been some great responses as to why this might be and that perhaps the message is in error. But in the past 24 hours, the message thread has seemed to change from one of "is this a problem or not" to a philosophical issue (I use the term loosely) of whether or not the map module is worthwhile.

Any chance that people can focus on whether or not this issue will be resolved, and place less focus on whether or not the map module is needed? For the people who do not want or do not use the map module, well, that's your choice and I have no issues with that choice. I for one make extensive use of the map module for what I do in photography, and I know of others who also find it useful.

Let's focus please on the issue I originally posted?

Thanks ... Jay-Dee

Jay, So sorry for my unintentional hijacking of your thread...it wasn't intended. I was just expressing a personal opinion which provoked a bit of a furore. I didn't mean to upset anyone. Anyway I have now been suitably admonished by yourself and and especially by John with his "quality of the digressions" comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back