• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Map module Map view not available in the Map module?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
4.x
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom version: 4.4.1 [908273]
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Issue:
When using the Map module, the map area is black and a warning appears: 'Map view is no longer supported on this version of Lightroom.'

Map_is_not_availble.jpg

I asked Professor Google. It is not a bug caused by Adobe. But due to a changed Google Maps API.
Adobe does not maintain support for Lightroom 4 and 5. Has anyone found a work-around to solve this within Lightroom 4/5?
And can someone confirm with 100% certainty that this problem does not occur in Lightroom 6 and / or higher?

With regards, Martin

P.S. This problem occurs since beginning july 2018

Your solution is to simply upgrade to LR6.14. Approximate cost to you is ~$79USD. or you can Subscribe to the latest version ~$120/yr.
LR6 is the last perpetual license version for LR and it too will sometime become obsolete with new technology. like advanced hardware and Operating Systems.
The subscription version will get you two versions of LR (local based like you have and a cloud based with 20GB of cloud storage) and a subscription version of Photoshop.

Your solution is to simply upgrade to LR6.14. Approximate cost to you is ~$79USD. or you can Subscribe to the latest version ~$120/yr.
LR6 is the last perpetual license version for LR and it too will sometime become obsolete with new technology. like advanced hardware and Operating Systems.
The subscription version will get you two versions of LR (local based like you have and a cloud based with 20GB of cloud storage) and a subscription version of Photoshop.

Hi Cletus,
your suggestion to upgrade to version 6.14 or the subscription version is not as simple as it seems. Because my version (Lightroom version: 4.4.1 [908273]) runs on Windows 10, 32-bit. To have Lightroom 6.14 of the subscription run, I need a PC with a 64-bit OS.

So not only the costs of upgrading the license, but also about $ 1200 for a new PC. :mad:

Until I have saved enough for a new PC, I have found a solution.
Via a detour, outside Lightroom.
The trick, which Victoria Bampton mentions in her book 'FAQ Adobo Photoshop Lightroom CC / 6' on page 176, fortunately still works.
(Windows) Alt-clicking on the GPS arrow in the Metadata panel opens Google Maps in your default browser .......

But then of course the question is how do I get the GPS data in the Metadata. I have not yet found a drag and drop solution, such as within Lightroom.

But for synchronizing photos with a GPS log, there is a solution. I have found a program called 'GeoSetter'. Developed by Fredemann Schmidt. (www.geosetter.de) It's donationware. It is well documented and pretty straightforward. Tweak the settings. Import your photo's and tracklog. And the GPS data is written in the appropriate IPTC fields.

Back in Lightroom you've to synchronize the METADATA (update/overwrite METADATA in catalogue)

GeoSetter.jpg

with regards, Martin

With respect, you do not need a new computer to run a 64-bit OS...
Just upgrade your OS (Win 10) to 64-bit.

Years ago I upgraded Win 7 from 32-bit to 64-bit on a workstation - I still use it now!

Tony Jay

With respect, you do not need a new computer to run a 64-bit OS...
Just upgrade your OS (Win 10) to 64-bit.

Years ago I upgraded Win 7 from 32-bit to 64-bit on a workstation - I still use it now!

Tony Jay

Hi Tony,

That trick wil only be succesfull if the processor on the systemboard is x64. Your talking about a workstation, so I presume that's the case. On such system you can install a 32-bit or a 64-bit OS. On a systemboard where the processor is x86, which in my case is true, the only option is a 32-bit OS.

With regards, Martin.

I was not aware that Windows 10 still had a 32bit component. Apple abandoned that platform many years ago. Sorry for your plight.

Using Lightroom 6.14 on my MacBook Pro. The Map function has ceased to load and a message comes up -
Oops! this page has failed to load Google maps refer to the javascript console for technical detail. Could this be related?
Has anyone else experienced this issue? It has literally only just ceased to function.

Regards

Thanks for that John. Guessed it must have been something like that but it must be very recent. Assume Google Maps has moved on but no upgrades to this version of Lightroom. One more reason to move to subscription but not quite ready to commit to that for now. Cheers

Hi -

I've installed it and seems quite useful but not quite what I was looking for. Jeff's plug-in seems to only work for those photos which already have a geotag. If I'm right you used to be able to drag the photo onto the map and drill down to the location, assuming you know it and the map module would apply the GPS tag to it. For me that would be useful as my main camera has no geo tag function. Whilst not essential it would have been useful.

It's one of the useful functions of Photos in that you could enter the location later and provided it was in Apple maps it would throw up a list of possible matches, select and enter the GPS via a click. Again not essential but map console would have been a useful replacement.
Am I right in assuming that the map console does not feature in the subscription versions of Lightroom?
Anyway thanks for your help and loss of the map console won't stop me using Lightroom rather than Photos.

Many thanks

Am I right in assuming that the map console does not feature in the subscription versions of Lightroom?
No. The Map module works just fine in Lightroom Classic.

Jeff's plug-in seems to only work for those photos which already have a geotag.
No, it can also add GPS coordinates to the photo from Google Earth.
1. Select your photo in LR
2. Open the plugin
3. Open Google Earth
4. Click on the position the photo has been taken
5. In the "Static Location" tab of the plugin, clic on "Import location from Google Earth"

Hal, Philippe,

Many thanks for your comments, both helpful. I'll run with 6.14 plus the plug-in until I have to move to CC. Cheers

Hi Cletus,
your suggestion to upgrade to version 6.14 or the subscription version is not as simple as it seems. Because my version (Lightroom version: 4.4.1 [908273]) runs on Windows 10, 32-bit. To have Lightroom 6.14 of the subscription run, I need a PC with a 64-bit OS.

So not only the costs of upgrading the license, but also about $ 1200 for a new PC. :mad:

The trick, which Victoria Bampton mentions in her book 'FAQ Adobo Photoshop Lightroom CC / 6' on page 176, fortunately still works.
(Windows) Alt-clicking on the GPS arrow in the Metadata panel opens Google Maps in your default browser .......

But then of course the question is how do I get the GPS data in the Metadata. I have not yet found a drag and drop solution, such as within Lightroom.

But for synchronizing photos with a GPS log, there is a solution. I have found a program called 'GeoSetter'. Developed by Fredemann Schmidt. (www.geosetter.de) It's donationware. It is well documented and pretty straightforward. Tweak the settings. Import your photo's and tracklog. And the GPS data is written in the appropriate IPTC fields.

Back in Lightroom you've to synchronize the METADATA (update/overwrite METADATA in catalogue)

View attachment 11194

with regards, Martin

Hi Cletus,

View attachment 11194

with regards, Martin
I miss the use of my Map! I am using Lightroom 6 and Windows 10. I tried holding alt and clicking on the GPS arrow in the metadata. Nothing happened. Does this still work for you???

I miss the use of my Map! I am using Lightroom 6 and Windows 10. I tried holding alt and clicking on the GPS arrow in the metadata. Nothing happened. Does this still work for you???
Did you read the rest of the postings in this thread?

It's not very clear - should holding alt and clicking on the GPS arrow in the metadata work in Lightroom 6 or not?
Will that send you to Google maps?
I don't have Lightroom 6 myself to test it.

Thommy

Clicking on a GPS arrow in the metedata should navigate you to the maps module of Lightroom. However maps does not work anymore in version 6. You could however copy the Coordinates from the metadata and use them in Google maps. So this is not one-click (anymore).

It's not very clear - should holding alt and clicking on the GPS arrow in the metadata work in Lightroom 6 or not?
Will that send you to Google maps?
Yes, Alt-Click on the GPS arrow in the Metadata panel still does open Google Maps in a browser at the coordinates of the image.

Clicking on a GPS arrow in the metedata should navigate you to the maps module of Lightroom. However maps does not work anymore in version 6. You could however copy the Coordinates from the metadata and use them in Google maps. So this is not one-click (anymore).
You misunderstood - I'm asking about Alt-Click on the GPS arrow in the Metadata panel.
See Jim's answer.

Thommy

Then what is the point of Lightroom! It's flaky to use but Maps module was one of it's saving graces. I'm using the latest version on a Mac and only get the warning sign about Java Script Console. Does that mean I stay with Aperture (which is still superior to any other Mac software) and not move on?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-31 at 16.55.12.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-31 at 16.55.12.png
    20.3 KB · Views: 287
Then what is the point of Lightroom! It's flaky to use but Maps module was one of it's saving graces. I'm using the latest version on a Mac and only get the warning sign about Java Script Console. Does that mean I stay with Aperture (which is still superior to any other Mac software) and not move on?
Go to ‘Help - System info’ and check the version. Post it here. If you really use the latest version, then you should not get this error.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back