• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Map module, strange behaviour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gronlund I

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Hello!
After last Creative Cloud update the map module has been behaving a little strangely: when I zoom the map
or move it with mouse, it turns to gray world map and gives a message "Map is offline". This lasts about one
second, but it is very when I'm trying to geotag my photos.

Someone else similar experiences? I'm thankful for good adwises.
Here's some system info

upload_2017-6-18_21-12-57.png

Yesterday the same happened to me. I could geotag my photo's but the message did appear multiple times. It was the first time ever i saw this. I'm recenlty over to 2015.10.1 also but i had geotaged afterwards. However, im over to the new Windows 10 Creators update and maybe that has something to do with it.

Others mabye too?

Yes. I'm on 2015.10 (not 10.1) so it's not the recent release, but I am on the creator's version of windows.

I wondered if it was whomever Adobe is using for Internet Maps, but it's google. I zoomed in and out for a while in a browser in google maps without getting any error.

Adobe + creator?

So most likely it's whatever mechanism Adobe worked up to access Google Maps, maybe it goes through some server that's going flakey?

It's not the newest release, the old (2015.10) release did not do it before, an dit's not Windows but also Mac. Adobe seems to be the common theme.

I'm getting the same, latest LR, and Win10. Didn't do this before the latest LR update.

Thanks Roelof, I added my me too vote.

I suppose now also Adobe is aware of this problem and we can expect a solution very soon. Think I don't try the downgrading yet.

I suppose now also Adobe is aware of this problem and we can expect a solution very soon. Think I don't try the downgrading yet.
I don't think it will help anyway, I have yet to upgrade (am on the 2015.10 not 2015.10.1) and it still does it there.

I'd guess Google changed something server side, because even LR5 is having issues in the last couple of days. Of course, LR5 won't be updated if it does require an Adobe fix - just LR6/CC. They are looking into it.

I've noticed that during the same period of time I've been experiencing the Lightroom "map is offline" issue, I've also been having the YouTube app on my Roku intermittently pop up "YouTube is unavailable" messages when I'm just browsing or watching a video. The behavior is incredibly similar to what's going on in Lightroom (immediately after the message, it acts like everything's fine for a short time), and unless I'm mistaken they're both run through Google's servers. Probably not coincidence?

Just today morning i was dragging pictures manually on the map and was annoyed. A moment ago when I came home, I updated and it seems that the problem has
disappeared. Thanks for notifying!

Any suggestions for a Lightroom 5.7 user? I'm not "upgrading" to their CC. Is the Map now a dead feature for us?

Tony,

You don't need to upgrade to CC. You can still purchase LR 6 and upgrade to 6.12.

I think that the map has permanently ceased to work properly for all previous versions of Lightroom. Google changed their API and Adobe had to change how they talk to Google. Older, unsupported versions don't get the update.

Tony,

You don't need to upgrade to CC. You can still purchase LR 6 and upgrade to 6.12.

I think that the map has permanently ceased to work properly for all previous versions of Lightroom. Google changed their API and Adobe had to change how they talk to Google. Older, unsupported versions don't get the update.

Hi Hal,
I appreciate your reply. I'm not inclined to spend $140+ to upgrade to LR6 at this point, so I guess the map is dead to me. Adobe is losing customers for nonsense like this.

Thank you.

If you have 5.7, it'll only cost you around $80 US to upgrade. And it isn't "nonsense". Software companies don't support old versions when the environment changes.

Hi Hal,
I appreciate your reply. I'm not inclined to spend $140+ to upgrade to LR6 at this point, so I guess the map is dead to me. Adobe is losing customers for nonsense like this.

Just for the record, Lightroom 5 was released in 2013, so expecting Adobe to keep it updated in 2017 for free is a bit unrealistic, and I do not really think "nonsense", especially if the change was actually made by Google as indicated, not Adobe.

Also, when I experienced the problem, it was annoying not debilitating; I would just wait when it went "offline" and it would come right back. Very annoying, certainly, but I could still use the map. Is it completely broken for 5.x?

PS. Sorry, looks like 3 of us posted almost the same time, did not mean to pile on so badly, but I do think the above is worth noting.

Thank you for the info on the upgrade charge. I didn't see the upgrade price. Fair point about my "nonsense" comment, although I think there is some validity to a complaint about a feature suddenly going dead.

Thank you for the info on the upgrade charge. I didn't see the upgrade price. Fair point about my "nonsense" comment, although I think there is some validity to a complaint about a feature suddenly going dead.
Absolutely, if Adobe had caused it, as a way to obsolete software.

I'm not sure what Adobe could do about Google, well, other than to fix it. But should they go back and fix superseded versions? How far back?

I'd be right there with you if Adobe had done something to cause an old version to stop working, absolutely. But that isn't the case, any more than if (speculation) a Windows 10 update caused LR 5.x to stop working, or you buy a new computer and the GPU won't work with the older code line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back