• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Map Module Not Working (or there's a problem with the GPS coordinates)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurence Heine

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic CC V8.1
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I'm using Lightroom Classic CC V8.1 on MAC os 10.14 Majove with an active subscription. I have just imported several hundred images that have been geotagged but they do not show a position in the map module. In the Metadata Panel, the GPS field is blank.

If I examine a sample image with Picassa, it shows these GPS Values:
GPS Latitude: 34 2' 18.7" N​
GPS Longitude: 116 11' 36.3" W​
GPS Altitude: 1200.28​

If I examine the sample image with an Exif editor, it shows these GPS values:
GPS Latitude: 34.038539​
GPS Latitude Ref: North​
GPS Longitude: 116.193414​
GPS Longitude Ref: West​
GPS Altitude: 1200.275879​
GPS Altitude Ref: Above Sea Level​

By my calculations, these GPS positions correspond exactly.

Can anyone suggest what is happening with Lightroom?

Thanks!

Do you apply a metadata preset during import? If so, check to make sure the GPS, Altitude and Direction fields (in the Camera Info section) are NOT checked.

Thanks, Jim!

My bad. I realized that the geotagging was performed AFTER some of the images were imported, which explains why the GPS data is not present. I guess I have to manually add it as I can't reimport without losing the develop settings.

You could simply do Metadata menu>Read Metadata from File, but that also will wipe the develop settings. If you know where the image was shot, using the Map module to geotag the images would be the best bet, I guess.

Thanks again, Jim,
I'll have to manually copy the GPS location from the Exif data, as I spent all day yesterday editing several hundred images. I forgot that at Import, Lightroom copies the photo and Exif data rather than reading it live. Hopefully, in the future I'll remember to geotag the images before I import them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back