• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Map Module Crashing LrC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian Consterdine

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 10.1
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
Whenever I start LrC at the moment it seems to take a few minutes to warm up, so much so that I'm opening it well before I need to use it.

But one thing that is bugging me is if I try to open Maps, LrC Crashes. Then when I re-open it, Maps works fine. Is it me or is my 2 1/2 year old MacBook Pro playing silly beggars?

I have to use Maps on part of my work as the photos need to be Geo-Tagged for the insurance companies who are receiving the images.

I just tested my laptop which is running Big Sur and Map is behaving itself for me. Is it always on the same collection or folder when you try to switch?

I just tested my laptop which is running Big Sur and Map is behaving itself for me. Is it always on the same collection or folder when you try to switch?
Its with the same collection. It's usually after I open LrC and need to Geotag images, that I've just imported.
One I restart LrC it behaves. Although its does seem to spend a lot of time 'thinking' before I can use it.

Are there a lot of photos in that collection? And is it doing anything else at the same time, like building previews?

The collection is just over half a million images. I have all my images spread across a number of HDD drives which are only accessed when needed, and all that are kept on my laptop is that day's work which is then moved to a HDD as soon as practical to do so.
I may wait for it to build previews next time I need to use maps see if that makes a difference.
One way round I've found is to open Lightroom and leave it in the background until its needed. The problem seems to occur if I initially open it and try to start work straight away. If it's been running for a while then it works normally.

Half a million in the catalog? Or in the folder/collection that's selected when you switch to the map module? Half a million photos is a lot to try to place on the map.

Half a million in the catalog? Or in the folder/collection that's selected when you switch to the map module? Half a million photos is a lot to try to place on the map.
Oops! My Catalog is half a million, its usually when I highlight a folder (around 250 images) to place on the map.

However, I have now found a work around. I open LrC in Library, and then open Maps, which opens as normal, flip back to Library and import my images.
I then reopen Maps, and highlight the images I want to tag, and it works.

I was highlighting them before opening maps, which appears to be the cause of the crash.

Sorry for the delay in replying, but I've had rather a busy couple of weeks - considering the UK is in Lockdown, there appears to have been an upsurge in cars crashing!

People are driving like lunatics here too! Well done for finding a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back