• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Managing images taken with the Lightroom camera on my iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwaddo

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Mobile 6.4.1
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
I wanted to add to this thread but felt my use case was slightly different so I have started a new thread.

I use the Lightroom camera on my iPhone and I have changed the preferences in Lightroom Classic so the originals of these images sync down to my desktop to a folder of my choosing, I use the yyyy/yyyy-mm/yyyy-mm-dd option

Once in LrC I move the downloaded images to other folders of my choosing, to the same folder I would put images from my DSLR for the same day out. The reason for this move is that for my normal workflow I store my images in folders that are a mix of date and description, for example 2021/ 2021-10/ 2021-10-Hornsey.

So to my question.

When I move the downloaded sync images to my destination folder in LrC they are not removed from the Lr Camera Photos album so they just continue to accumulate, how do I remove them? If I delete them they are removed from any Collections I have already created and synced with the Lightroom Cloud. I could try deleting them from Lr Camera Photos after moving them in LrC but before adding them to any syncing Collections but this feels a little clumsy and prone to disaster.

Is there a proper way to solve my problem that I am missing, any help appreciated.

Regards

@Paul McFarlane

Thank you, so basically I was correct, it just seems to clunky to be true. I either need to remove them from Lr Mobile (All Synced Photographs) before I move them into my own folders and add them back into Collections which may sync or un-sync Collections before then remove them from All Synced Photographs.

Thank you for your help.

Is there a proper way to solve my problem that I am missing, any help appreciated.
I'm not sure I understand the "problem". Lr Camera Photos is effectively a Smart Album, as is Recent Edits, Recently Added, People, and Deleted. Images are added to those smart albums as soon as they meet the required criteria, and you cannot remove photos from any of the smart albums without deleting them from the cloud library completely. If you want the images that you take with the Lr camera to remain in the cloud, but don't want them to appear in the Lr Camera Photos smart album, you have to fool Lr in some way....and you can only do that by removing the image from the cloud and then adding it back.

To me, that's simply not worth the effort, but then I don't have a problem with photos taken with the Lr Camera automatically appearing in the Lr Camera Photos. That smart album is occasionally useful, but for the most part it's ignored.

@Jim Wilde

Hi, I can see why you say it is not a problem but to me there are at least 3, unless I've misunderstood,
  1. In Lr Camera they are the originals therefore they are using some of my Cloud storage, albeit a small amount but this will accumulate and potentially become a bigger problem to sort out later when and when I run out.
  2. If I move them locally then I have two copies of the original, this upsets my OCD approach to my Catalog. Which is the true original?
  3. If syncing gets stuck, which it does, then it feels much easier to fix if the only images in Lr Camera are those waiting to download.
I currently consider the Adobe Cloud image storage to be transient so in theory I could delete All Synced Photographs and not lose an image.

Thank you for our help

In Lr Camera they are the originals therefore they are using some of my Cloud storage, albeit a small amount but this will accumulate and potentially become a bigger problem to sort out later when and when I run out.

That is correct, but the typical workflow for those users who want to sync their phone captures back to LrClassic, and thus need to manage with that 20GB cloud storage, is to wait for the captures to download into Classic, then remove them from All Synced Photographs (which deletes them from the cloud), then optionally sync them back to the cloud from LrC as smart previews which thus don't take up any of that 20GB allowance.
Using that approach, the phone captures will automatically be removed from Lr Camera Photos, but only when they have already synced up to the cloud and back down into LrC and you have removed from from All Synced Photographs.

If I move them locally then I have two copies of the original, this upsets my OCD approach to my Catalog. Which is the true original?

This I don't understand. I assume you are talking about moving them in LrC after they have synced down from the cloud? In which case that is a "move" operation, i.e. the original is moved to the new location. Thus there are not "two copies of the original". If I am misunderstanding, please clarify.

If syncing gets stuck, which it does, then it feels much easier to fix if the only images in Lr Camera are those waiting to download.

Using the typical workflow that I described above, the only time you will see images in Lr Camera Photos is when they have either not yet synced, or they have synced but you haven't yet removed them from All Synced Photographs in LrC.

Hi @Jim Wilde

1, We are agreeing with each other as to the best workflow - allow them to download from Lr Mobile then delete them from the cloud before syncing them back to the cloud ✓

2, I have to disagree on the second point. There are always two copies of the images unless you have taken step 1. Moving them locally, moves the local copy, but does nothing to help the copy in Lr Mobile which is why Step 1 is so important to maintain a tight workflow.

3, I would agree here also ✓

Thank you for your help.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back