• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Managing Apple Photos + Lightroom Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halcyon

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Mobile 5.2.5
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
  2. iOS
Greetings. I am wondering how people manage both the Apple Photos library and the Lightroom Mobile library on the iPhone. I have Lightroom set to automatically import from Apple Photos, but it leaves a copy in Photos so I have redundant copies. I don’t see a way to make it delete from the library. (?)

I know Lightroom has a camera, but it’s an extra tap to get into and not available from the lock screen, so I find myself using the built-in Camera app. Can any third party camera app write directly to the Lightroom library?

Now my iCloud is filling up. Do I just need to acclimate myself to manually purging Apple Photos every so often?

My old approach was to sync to the Mac over iCloud and do an export from Apple Photos on the Mac, and then ingest them in Lightroom Classic. It’s nicer to have Lightroom doing the syncing automatically. I think I can probably turn off iCloud Photos to save space there.

Just wondering how others manage these parallel technology stacks where it’s tricky to commit to just one.

Greetings. I am wondering how people manage both the Apple Photos library and the Lightroom Mobile library on the iPhone. I have Lightroom set to automatically import from Apple Photos, but it leaves a copy in Photos so I have redundant copies. I don’t see a way to make it delete from the library. (?)
AFAIK, there is no way. You will have to do this manually.

I know Lightroom has a camera, but it’s an extra tap to get into and not available from the lock screen, so I find myself using the built-in Camera app. Can any third party camera app write directly to the Lightroom library?
Lightroom comes with a widget, so you can access the Lightroom built-in camera from the lock screen.

IMG_BD55703697B9-1.jpeg

In the iPhone settings for the Photos app, you can turn off the sync with the apple iCloud and no photos from this device get sent to the iCloud storage. I automatically import any photos taken with the Photos c camera to my Lightroom App and these automatically sync to the Adobe Cloud. I still need to manually delete photos from the "Cameraroll". on the phone.

In the iPhone settings for the Photos app, you can turn off the sync with the apple iCloud and no photos from this device get sent to the iCloud storage. I automatically import any photos taken with the Photos c camera to my Lightroom App and these automatically sync to the Adobe Cloud. I still need to manually delete photos from the "Cameraroll". on the phone.
Thank you. Glad to see how others are managing. :)

I don't know if Lightroom can automatically delete the imported photos. Even Google Foto doesn't have this. It's annoying sometimes, but it doesn't bother me much cause I like to keep my original photos in the library.
For example, last week, I had a photoshoot with a couple at a hired location. The couple chose an incredible garden that they found on [link removed]. So, they asked me to show the photos before and after I edit them. That's why I like to delete images from the library manually.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could move the Lr app to your home screen. I know how strenuous it is to tap an iPhone screen, but if you do it enough you will build muscle.
Moving the Lightroom app to the Home screen is not always fast enough when the phone is locked and you need to take a photo immediately before the scene changes. That’s the beauty of the Lightroom lock screen widget that Johan showed. If your phone is locked, all you have to do is a single tap on the Lightroom lock screen widget and it will go directly to the Lightroom camera, bypassing everything else and saving time.

Suppose you see a child or pet doing something super cute and you need to take the photo before the moment goes away. Here is how it works both ways.

Using Lightroom app on the home screen:
  1. Unlock phone if needed.
  2. If phone is not on home screen, swipe to home screen.
  3. Tap Lightroom app.
  4. After Lightroom app loads, tap Lightroom camera icon.
  5. Now you can finally take the photo.

Using the Lightroom lock screen widget:
  1. Tap Lightroom lock screen widget.
  2. Unlock phone if needed. Lightroom app starts, and goes directly to the camera.
  3. Take the photo.
Before Adobe added the lock screen widget, if a photo needed to be taken as soon as possible, it was much faster to use the phone's own camera, but then you wouldn’t get a raw file out of it. After Adobe added the lock screen widget, it became possible to get to the Lightroom app camera about as quickly as the phone’s own built-in camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back