Making the best of my setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happy Haggis

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I've read a lot about optimising my PC for LR and PS CS5 and am now unsure whether my setup is the best I can achieve.
I have an SSD for programs and OS (80Gb)
I have 3 WD Cavair Black 640Gb drives. I'm unsure if I'm using these as well as I could. I have the LR catalogue and previews on 1, photos on another and ACR Cache on the third.
Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

So, what are you doing for a backup drive?
I don't see a necessity for keeping ACR on a separate drive. I would keep it on the same drive as the LR previews.

Although if you have the drives available, why not separate the OS from the catalog from the ACR cache from the image files? That's what I do, although admittedly I've never gone to the bother of trying different configurations (never felt the need if truth be told).....I had my system built specifically with 4 internal drives for Lightroom following advice received from this forum a couple of years ago, and am still very happy with the performance.

Is there anything that specifically is bothering you about your setup?

Thanks for your replies. :)
Cletus, I've got a Drobo that I use for backup, although I ought to have off site backup as well. On-line would be great, but I live in the middle of a crofting community a long way from the exchange and Broadband is very slow here. DVDs are an alternative, but it would take an awful lot to back everything up.

Jim, no there isn't anything in particular that bothers me, its just that I've been reviewing my PC setup and made a couple of changes recently that got me thinking about whether I was getting the best out of it. I just increased my RAM to 8Gb and removed the Raid 1 configuration as I didn't feel I needed it. TBH I think I tend to over think these things. :crazy:

Thanks again.

Haggis, one other thing that I forgot to mention. I actually split my image files onto two drives. I have a separate drive for older images I keep the most current 3 months or so on a fast internal drive. Older images are stored on another drive. At one time that drive was on the network in a NAS, I could not back the NAS up to the cloud when located there, so I moved the drive internal. My reasoning is that older images are infrequently accessed and the processing is complete for the best or most important ones. For that reason, it should not matter to me or LR if they are on a slower drive.

Thanks for that suggestion, Cletus. It makes sense and with my spare drive, its something I could implement. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back