• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Making image size compatible with Costco or other printers

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtcary

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Classic 9.0
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Often, I crop an image to something other than 3 X 2 which makes the image incompatible with Costco or other mass printers. Yes, with some math I have been able in Photoshop to create a Canvas of the correct proportions and drop the image onto it. Is there an easier way to accomplish the task.

Todd Cary

Yes, I understand the standard sizes, however for artistic reasons, sometimes I need to crop to a non-standard size. Since I submitted this question, I have made some 2 X 3 canvases in Photoshop and then use the Place Embedded function.

Todd

Yes, I understand the standard sizes, however for artistic reasons, sometimes I need to crop to a non-standard size. Since I submitted this question, I have made some 2 X 3 canvases in Photoshop and then use the Place Embedded function.

Todd
You don't need to go to Photoshop for any of this. First, you can send any file to Costco to other outside printer. You need to instruct then to Fit NOT Fill the the paper size that you choose, then there will be white unprinted margin on the long edge (which is what I think you are doing now).
Second, you can use the Lightroom Print module to fit your image into any Paper size that you choose. If you want a 3rd party to print , you set the "Print to: JPEG" in the Print Job section to create a JPEG file that looks like what you want to send to the 3rd party printer.

I did not know about the LR Print option...thank you. To bad that Costco does not have the Fit-not-Fill option.

\rtc

I did not know about the LR Print option...thank you. To bad that Costco does not have the Fit-not-Fill option.

\rtc
I'm not a Costco member so I can't see what features are offered. I did look at CVS photo and found it impossible to print a whole image that is not in the same aspect ratio as the paper. This means that your best choice is a reputable online service that will print images correctly and not in some batch "one size fits none" mode. Whitehouse Custom Color is one such online printing service.

you can use the Lightroom Print module to fit your image into any Paper size that you choose. If you want a 3rd party to print , you set the "Print to: JPEG" in the Print Job section to create a JPEG file that looks like what you want to send to the 3rd party printer.
Thanks for this. I was wondering if the 'Print to: JPEG' in PRINT had an advantage over EXPORT.

The advantages - you can add a border, basic text, and you can put multiple photos on a single sheet. That's it. For anything else, I'd use Export.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back