macOS 15

Zenon

Did you turn it off and on again?
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Is supposed to be unveiled in June. Big question is will they drop Intel OS upgrades or will my 2019 iMac sneak in. iMac's before 2019 did not qualify for Sonoma. If it doesn't I will get two more years of security support. That being said it is getting on in age and it will be time to start thinking about a new one. I was hoping to get about 6 years.

What surprised me and is frustrating is they stopped making 27" units. I can only get 24GB unified memory on the 24". I purchased my iMac with 8GB of RAM and upgraded to 64 myself. The big one was I got 8GB VRAM for future proofing as I knew more AI would come out. Performance wise it is pretty good. LrC Denoise AI takes about 33 seconds.

I guess the 24 unified memory will be better but I'd like more for future proofing. I can get a mini with 32 RAM and a faster processor but then I'd need a display and now that starts to add up. Apple is a smart company. Can't use my current iMac as a monitor as far as I know.

The Studio and Pro lines are out of my league. I'm just a hobbyist. I could live with a 24 inch display if I had to. I kinda like the all in one approach. As I do get more serious I'll start asking about decent displays that hopefully are half the price of the Apple lines. I know they are out there.

Support for legacy hard ware won't go on forever. If Apple is stilll selling Intel products and these are not already phased out, you might see an Intel version of MacOS15. If they are already phased out and there are new silicon model equivalents, then MacOS 15 might very well be Silicon only. After all five year old (2019) hardware is positively antediluvian in computer terms.

As for the 27" models. The industry trend is toward 32" HDR displays. It is more likely that the next iMac will be 32" XDR. Which is currently available in the overpriced Apple Pro Display.

I got an M1 24" iMac when they were top of the iMac Line. I supplemented the 24" screen with a 32" monitor as I have always relied upon dual monitors for LrC. 16GB unified memory was not enough to handle the New features of LrC. At the beginning of this year I traded in my 24" iMac for a 64GB Mac Studio and an ASUS ProArt HDR 32" monitor.

Save your pennies!.

Thanks for the info. I'll likely go the monitor route. I have a 2020 M1, 16 GB RAM MacBook Air for travel. It is faster at everything than my iMac except for Denoise AI. That takes 115 seconds.

Thanks for the info. I'll likely go the monitor route. I have a 2020 M1, 16 GB RAM MacBook Air for travel. It is faster at everything than my iMac except for Denoise AI. That takes 115 seconds.

FWIW, DeNoise on my MacStudio averages ~8 sec.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FWIW I believe there is software you can buy to turn an iMac into a monitor ... was looking into it about a year ago. Sorry don't have links but Mr Google should help.

FWIW I believe there is software you can buy to turn an iMac into a monitor ... was looking into it about a year ago. Sorry don't have links but Mr Google should help.
Now that you mention it I think I read about that somewhere. I’ll have to do a search for that. Thanks

Back