• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

MacBook Pro M1 Pro Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwaddo

Hi, not sure if this is the right place for this question but I wanted to ask whether anyone has any experience of using a 16" Apple M1 Pro with 10-core CPU, 16-core GPU, 16-core Neural Engine, with 16Gb Unified RAM for Lightroom and Photoshop.

Any other MacBook Pro experience appreciated.

Regards

You might want to look at the similar, longer discussion already in progress on this forum:
MacBook Pro with M1 Max

I use the lowest base CPU (8-core) 14" M1 Pro with 32GB RAM, and I am very happy with this choice. I wasn’t aiming for the most powerful, but the best balance between cost, performance, and portability. Lightroom Classic and Photoshop run smoothly, and the most telling thing is that compared to my previous Mac, a quad-core i5 MacBook Pro, with the M1 Pro the responsiveness of the Spot Removal tool is getting close to reasonable!

The reason I chose 32GB unified memory is because Lightroom Classic works better if it has at least 12GB for itself, and after adding what macOS wants, and how much memory you want the GPU to be able to take from unified memory, 16GB seemed a little tight, especially if you then want to open another application such as Photoshop. I think that depending on budget, 32GB to 64GB is a good place to be.

If your budget only lets you get as far as 16GB RAM, that’s probably not a disaster, because of how well the older M1 Macs perform with 8GB unified memory. But in those Macs, the memory system does hit the SSD much more often to create larger virtual memory swap files.

Keep in mind that Lightroom Classic uses the GPU in the Develop module only, so that limits the benefits of the models with more GPU cores. I really think the M1 Pro base 14" and base 16" configurations, with enough unified memory, are the sweet spot for photographers. But if Adobe gets around to upgrading Lightroom Classic and Photoshop to take better advantage of more CPU and GPU cores in more parts of the applications, the M1 Max and M1 Ultra might become more practical for photography.

Thank you, that is vey helpful.

I will take a look at the other discussion, not sure why I did not find it when I searched :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back