• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

MacBook overheating problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

annebotterill-gmail

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Version Number
Classic
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
whenever I run lightroom on my MacBook Pro it gets fiercely hot, even when I’m not doing any processing. Does anyone else have this problem and can anyone suggest how to overcome it. It seems to be a very resource hungry application.

Fiercely hot is ok as long as it’s not shutting down. That just means that Lightroom is utilising the computers resources, and since you paid for that spec, you’d be complaining if it didn’t use it. When you say you’re not using it, it may be syncing photos with the cloud or building previews in the background. If it carries on for hours without doing anything, then it might be worth investigating further.

Thanks Victoria for your speedy and helpful response. I understand what you’re saying but I don’t use the cloud and I don’t know yet how to do previews. It just seems to be the only programme which makes the Mac run hot.cheers.

Lightroom does much more complex stuff than most programs, so it’s not unexpected. A bunch of stuff will be happening in the background without you doing anything, but if it carries in for hours, we can help you figure out why.

My MacBook Pro has been really overheating in the last few months when using Lightroom, when it was okay before. Could it be that newer versions are more resourse-intensive than they used to be? (Perhaps even Mojave could be pushing things harder?)

My MacBook Pro has been really overheating in the last few months when using Lightroom, when it was okay before. Could it be that newer versions are more resourse-intensive than they used to be? (Perhaps even Mojave could be pushing things harder?)
Are the vents blocked?

When is the last time you cleared out the dust bunnies from inside?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If that is a question for me; about a year ago I took my laptop apart and vacuumed out all the cooling vents, but that was the first time in many a year. I had noted the fan was running at higher speed and for longer than normal. On desktops, I do so more frequently than once a blue moon.

On cameras, keeping dust off the sensor: regularly.

When is the last time you cleared out the dust bunnies from inside?

Never!! So it seems like a great idea to try it now. Thanks.

Looks like I shall need some special tools ...

If that is a question for me; about a year ago I took my laptop apart and vacuumed out all the cooling vents, but that was the first time in many a year. I had noted the fan was running at higher speed and for longer than normal. On desktops, I do so more frequently than once a blue moon.

On cameras, keeping dust off the sensor: regularly.

Not for you. Just to supplement your recommendation.
Your housekeeping suggestions above are what I think is necessary here.

Never!! So it seems like a great idea to try it now. Thanks.

Looks like I shall need some special tools ...

Before I would start major surgery, I would start with a vacuum in all of the vents

turn off and unplug the computer while vacuuming

That is a fluff caked machine! Yep carefully vacuum it all out. You can get a detail kit (for detailing cars) that fits on a regular vacuum cleaner. It has two 'features':
1/ Small tools
2/ A system that has an airflow bypass, greatly reducing the 'suck' level at the small nozzle and brushes.

Detail kits are not expensive. Make sure you get the dust off every fan blade. Without a detail kit, an old toothbrush (soft)? A small paint brush?

Watch out for static, if you have one, fit an anti-static strap. Constantly ground the brush to yourself; if you don't have a strap, earth yourself. In the UK the screws that hold the front plate of a socket (power outlet) are earthed (grounded), just touching the metal screw is usually sufficient. (BTW, without a safety resistor, earthing youself this way can be dangerous, but should be fine for this level of static build-up unless you have a heart condition.)

(Air flowing over the brushes of the vacuum cleaner might gain a static charge.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back