• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

MAC <-> Windows question, NOT WAR!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wblink

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Hi,

I am reading (and learning A LOT) on this forum.
I am a Window's user. Just streamed in like (almost) everyone.

I noticed here (and as a fact in many other graphical surroundings) that you people like to use Mac's.

What is the reasoning behind that?
Did you already use MAC and were attracted to he graphical scene, which was obvious, because you already used MAC, or did the graphical scene made you change to MAC?

Is my assumption right that MAC is more headed toward graphical programs than Windows is?

You know: I have lived part of a lifetime (I am 56 years young or old) and want to fill the rest of my life with the thing I like to do most and that is take and publish photographs. As long as I am not retired I can take the time to learn and make choices.

Cheers? OK?

Ian Farlow;1'31' said:
I will be watching this Thread closely. Civil discussions only, please.

That is fair, and good for me: Thank you.

I realise I could risk a WAR, but I have been some time om this forum now and I have very good faith and expectations.

Thanks from Holland folks!

My first real computing experience was on Macs because that's what they used when I was studying design in college. They told us then(1994) that PCs didn't handle postscript fonts correctly, so that's why Macs were used for design work. Also, Photoshop didn't come out for Windows until September of that year(I think). When I went back to school in 1998 to study photography, the school used Macs, so when I bought my own, it made sense to stick with what I knew.

Now, most of the people that I know and work with in the commercial photography business use Macs. I know a couple of photographers that use PCs, but I've never seen an art director show up to a shoot with a PC laptop. On the flip side, I don't think that I've ever seen an account person show up with a Mac.

I went from PC's to Mac, Actually a short lived Mac clone, back with Windows 286 on a 486, before Pentiums came out. Don't see any reason to move back now. Especially when I can run both Mac and a Windows OS (or Unix flavor) on the same Intel-Mac Machine.

Don

I switched middle of 2''6. At the time, the biggest reason was that LR wasn't available for Windows, simple as that. Plus I was bored and I fancied a change.

Now, I admit, I won't switch back for as long as I have a choice. I still run a network of 1' windows machines at the studio - largely due to cost and trying to retrain the staff would be a pain. For my own machines, I have the best of both worlds, as I do still run some Windows programs on my Mac using Parallels. But I like the way the Mac OS thinks, and as I sit staring at the thing for nigh on 18 hours a day, the general user experience is important to me.

For graphics work, the Mac colour management setup is a big plus, as is the memory management. But there are still limited options for certain software - accounts software, for example, I still run on Windows.

At the end of the day, it's just a tool, and both will do the job.

Ian Farlow;1'31' said:
I will be watching this Thread closely. Civil discussions only, please.

I'm honestly a little disappointed that you feel the need to post that warning on this (your) forum.

I changed from PC to Mac at home about 3 years ago. Why? The screen shots in most photo mags seemed to be mainly Mac based and after using Windows since 3.1 I felt like a change of scenery and thought I'd give this Mac thing a go. I also like to learn new things and have a wider experience of computing. My wife still uses Windows and I have to use Windows at work.

I do like the Mac OS and there's a lot less housekeeping to do with all of the anti virus updates that windows users have to do. I also like some of the Mac software better than the Windows equivalent.

MikeCaine;1'317 said:
I'm honestly a little disappointed that you feel the need to post that warning on this (your) forum.

It was only a friendly warning Mike. Mac vs PC debates seem to bring out the worst in the nicest friendliest of forums, and we'd all hate to see that happen here!

I just thought the members here were above silly operating system and camera brand wars and could be trusted to have a sensible discussion like adults

I hope so Mike. Those who regularly post here are a great crowd!

MikeCaine;1'32' said:
I just thought the members here were above silly operating system and camera brand wars and could be trusted to have a sensible discussion like adults

We take on new members on a daily basis, so while the regulars here are known, civil, and clearly demonstrate an ability to have decent conversation, I know nothing about the new members.

These discussions, as pointed out by Victoria, all too often break down into arguments over why one system is "clearly" superior to the other, and how (stupid/vain/ignorant/fanboy/your choice of detrimental description) someone is for choosing one system over another.

I don't want that here, and while we are still a young Site, I want to reinforce certain key rules when the opportunity arises. As time moves on, I expect to feel compelled to do this less and less. In the meantime, I am sorry you are disappointed, but hopefully my explanation clears up my reasoning for posting as I did.

I use a Mac and have done since, I think, 1993. That was when I first ventured into digital imaging with a printer that printed digital files onto photo paper. Each file was an export from Photoshop, rather time consuming !! At that point Photoshop was only available for the Mac OS so I had no option. I had never used a computer prior to that and received great support from the Mac importers as I purchased the biggest/best I could get a Power PC 96''. I liked what I had and found it so easy to use, today that is no different. Have been on the net since those days and have never had a problem/virus etc. There have been a lot of changes over time but in total I have had only 4 Macs. One hard drive crashed on the original (we had Raid, even then), a power supply failure on an iMac (the original) and that's it for maintenance.
Why would I choose any thing else with all the issues I see with PCs? There has/is still a few issues with the switch from Motorola chips to Intel, hence I still use a G5 which works just fine. My next Mac, probably at the end of the year will be an intel Mac though.
That's my reasoning summed up by - "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

I have always used a Mac and can't get on with PC's at all. I think it comes down to what you start with you stay with, although there now appears to be many more PC-Mac converts again. The downside to the Macs is their cost but their ease of use and quality are second to none imho. If Macs were the same price as PC's then I think a lot more PC users would switch, especially as you can now run the Mac as a PC.

I got a Mac in 1989 having used a PC sparingly. In those days you couldn't do anything graphical on the PC. Pagemaker was about it and that wasn't enough.

Ease of use, colour management, Postscript, Photoshop and Quark XPress were Mac only.

Always frustrated when I do have to use a PC because it just doesn't get it interface-wise. It is often the little things on a Mac that make such a huge difference.

I often quote "It just works" as the reason for getting a Mac and enough PC user friends of mine have converted and been sold on it!

Willem,

I think what you are seeing currently in the split between Mac users and Win users is mostly a leftover from the big bang, that being the initial split between people who were drawn to the Macintosh (graphic professionals) and those who were drawn to the PC (primarily business users). This occurred when, maybe in the late '8's? I'm sure the Mac users here can tell us when the first Mac arrived. In those days, there was a big difference between the graphic capabilities between the two platforms. People drifted to which ever platform attracted them and have pretty much stuck with what works for them.

These days, I see very little difference in graphic capabilities between the two platforms. Both support great graphics engines (hardware) and both support completely color-managed applications. Windows supports a completely open hardware platform; Mac is closed. One consequence of that is, as previously noted, Macs tend to be a bit more expensive for a given performance level. Both operating systems are completely proprietary. There are more software applications available for Win systems than Mac, but now that you can run Win software on a Mac, that's less of an issue. And, if you don't need to run those applications, who cares? In the end, I think it really comes down to finding your own comfort zone.

As far as where I come from, I've used Win machines since long before Windows existed (they were called PCs then). I used an early Mac for awhile, but as a software developer, it was too limited at the time for the applications I needed to run. I'm currently running 2 Win machines at home, 4 Win machines at work, 2 Linux workstations, and several Linux servers. In the nearly 3' years that I have been running PCs, I have never had a virus or other malware on one of my machines (he says with crossed fingers). Well, other than the operating system, of course. Having said all of that, I'm seriously thinking about trying a Mac again when I next upgrade. Go figure! It's just a tool, after all.

Victoria Bampton;1'323 said:
I hope so Mike. Those who regularly post here are a great crowd!

That is why I dared to post my msg here. And you guys don't dissapoint me: I am getting clear info, without any war-feelings. It is nice to see that it can go this way too.

Thank you all.

Would a MacBookPro do?

Personally I started on an Atari 1'4'STE.. How sad am I?

My college experience was mixed Mac and PC. I used Mac for design and odd video stuff. PC was the mainstay of the electronics department, so that's what I went with. Some of you know I work as a sound engineer. I did a lot of recording when I was younger and more interested. Around that time Digidesign brought out a device called the MBox, a 2 channel recorder for Pro Tools. Mac only. I wanted a device for recording concerts, so I bought an iBook.
It didn't take long to switch to Mac completely after my experience with the iBook.

Sean McCormack;1'8'6 said:

Luxury! :)

I started with a Sinclair ZX8'

Sean McCormack;1'8'6 said:
You know that for some reason that doesn't surprise me a bit.
The Atari 1'4' was my first home computer. I had a great deal of mainframe (IBM, Burroughs and DEC) and time-sharing experience earlier with Apple II, and CP/M for "micros".

I was quite enamored of my Atari 1'4' with the very first HP DeskJet.
Remember when it was nicknamed the "Jackintosh", after Atari's owner in that era?

I've been rooted in the Wintel world, having originated in a corporate environment. In helping my wife, the entrepreneur, I've stuck with the sunk learning curve investment and stayed with Wintel.

Doesn't mean that I'm not suffering from Mac-envy tho'. :)

MY earliest was the 16 Color Tandy (Not the TSR) running Norton Desktop under MS-Dos. No modem, no internet.

Fun times!

Don

DonRicklin;1'843 said:
MY earliest was the 16 Color Tandy (Not the TSR) running Norton Desktop under MS-Dos. No modem, no internet.

Fun times!

Don

I guess I forgot to mention that I actually started on an IBM 65' RAMAC. Go look that up in your Funk & Wagnals . . . err . . . Wikipedia. Hint: it was programmed w/ little wires on a plug board. OK, at least you now know that I'm not exactly a youngster. Cheers all, and sorry for the OT.

I'm interested in this one as looking for a new laptop and considering a Mac this time just because of the great baclklit display. I might start a new topic on Laptops!

Paul

Ian,

Why not buy a new MBP and I'll buy your old one :)

For some people it's a cold and logical decision to go with one system or another, but for me the experience is important.

I've been using Microsoft since MS DOS and grew up through the incarnations of Windows and it has always stuck me as just an ordinary machine-that-gets-the-job-done experience. At work I use a Dell laptop with XP, and still, it's just ordinary and something to live with.

I caught the Mac bug in 2''3 (who says the Mac is virus-free LOL - I'm still infected!!) and bought a G3 iBook as my personal computer at home, to replace my seriously groggy and festering Toshiba laptop, and have enjoyed the experience ever since. Today I can still sit in front of my Mac screen for hours on end and actually not tire of it and enjoy the experience, whether for work or for pleasure.

There is better hardware and software integration on a Mac and the whole thing just knits together so much better/smoother than on a Windows machine. I rarely get interrupted by some obscure message, and plug & play functionality is truly plug & play, I've not encountered anything untoward as it seems to know what you plug in. I can't use some of my USB devices (memory sticks, even) on the Dell (a current model) as I have to install a driver from a cd I don't have. Windows is still 'messy' in these regards and I can't put my confidence in it.

Knowledge sharing seems to be better & easier to reach on Mac support sites (and the Apple discussion forums too) as does the knowledge base, it's 'cleaner'. On the other hand, Windows info is available anywhere and everywhere and by pretty much everyone, so it is plentiful, you just have to dig around and sift through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back