• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

MAC <-> Windows question, NOT WAR!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
stasber;1633' said:
I caught the Mac bug in 2''3 (who says the Mac is virus-free LOL - I'm still infected!!) and bought a G3 iBook as my personal computer at home, to replace my seriously groggy and festering Toshiba laptop, and have enjoyed the experience ever since.

Today I can still sit in front of my Mac screen for hours on end and actually not tire of it and enjoy the experience, whether for work or for pleasure.

Hey,
You put in the right perspective for me.
I have been using my comp for many, many different tasks. Now I am getting older (NOT OLD JUST 56!!!) and Mac has been developing where Windows has not I am more ready than ever to switch.

My main use (now) is Photowork (M is far much better than W in that), other things can be done in MAC too. Just some irritations in Safari: some of my passworded sites won't work. I assume word, excel, outlook have equivalent prgms in MAC?

I think it is obvious I want to be pulled over (I feel I look like an elderly lady (oops, man, don't discriminate) waiting to find someone to help get her/him to cross the street

Will you help me young man? :)

As I frequently shoot music gigs, I sometimes hear the phrase "sorry, I don't do requests" :mrgreen:

Photo work has taken over my Mac since a couple of years ago; that and my iTunes music library, everything else is kinda relegated to a relatively small external hard drive.

The only issue I encountered in Safari is where PayPal decided not to like it. I have no problems with Firefox at all and use the two in companion, esp as Firefox has plug-ins, especially the EXIF viewer.

Microsoft have Office for Mac, which essentially includes Word, Excel and PowerPoint, though the package hasn't been updated in a while (or maybe it has been more recently that I'm not on top of) and the Mac version of Outlook is called Entourage, but to be honest the inbuilt Mac Mail program is comprehensive and good by all accounts. Not sure how heavy an Outlook user you are. Importing Outlook to Mail should be painless, again depending on how customized your Outlook is.

If you want to part with more Apple money then the recently rebadged .Mac service is being relaunched shortly as MobileMe and offers online access to the main Apple productivity tools like Mail, iCal (calendar) etc - you can read more about it at Apple. If you were to use Entourage then this functionality wouldn't be available. They do have some great ideas but it'll cost (most people's main gripe about Apple). Having said that I canceled my .Mac subscription earlier this year - will see how MobileMe pans out ;)

Apple's equivalent to Office is iWork, Pages (Word), Numbers (Excel), Keynote (PowerPoint). I use Pages a lot and prefer it over Word but for heavily text based documents, Word would probably suit better. iWork costs a fraction of Office.
No issues with compatibility with Windows either.

The thing with Apple, generally, is that - to quote another advert - "it does exactly what it says on the tin" - so that what you read about in their blurbs it generally does that and does it without a fuss, and that's another thing I like about their products.

The only issue I encountered in Safari is where PayPal decided not to like it. I have no problems with Firefox at all and use the two in companion, esp as Firefox has plug-ins, especially the EXIF viewer.

Ok, thank you young man.
You helped me over, but left me 3/4 accross the street.
Luckily I didn't get hurt ('would have made some trouble' (grin)).

Think it is best to try a Powerbook (any recommandations (no NOT AIR book please)) for a start?

What is a whise choise, so I can keep my powerbook (sound like I really have it ...) in company with W and afterwards in companion with the full Mac Pro )ofcourse?).

Without kidding (again):
Best Mac laptop to start with next ot W, with the intention to switch to MAC entirely.

Anyone's problem is an answer to this question, my problem is to find te resources.

Hey, I found a gold-thread! Problem solved! Do you want to have a Hummer?

Hi,

I think my previeuws post was to full of not concrete info. I really would like to switch to MAC.

Willem, go with a MacBook or MacBook Pro - you can pick up some really great refurb deals. Put plenty of RAM in it - 3gb at least. You'll love it.

Outlook to Mac Mail is an easy transfer with a little cheap program called O2M. Office is available for Mac, but take a serious look at iWork if you don't need complete compatibility with other MS Office users - great program, and much much cheaper. Of course, you can always run Windows in a Window - MacHeist have got a good deal on Parallels virtualization software this weekend.

Go for it!

Willem, go with a MacBook or MacBook Pro - you can pick up some really great refurb deals. Put plenty of RAM in it - 3gb at least. You'll love it.

Outlook to Mac Mail is an easy transfer with a little cheap program called O2M. Office is available for Mac, but take a serious look at iWork if you don't need complete compatibility with other MS Office users - great program, and much much cheaper. Of course, you can always run Windows in a Window - MacHeist have got a good deal on Parallels virtualization software this weekend.

Go for it!

Thank you,

Ran into the ordering process on apple.nl but stepped on hold when I saw the price (>€31'') for the machine I chose.

Will do it when money permits and that is NOT just now.

"Refurb deals"? Where?

I switched from PC to Mac in 2''5, but not because of photography. Although I'm a mac-fan I'm not going to preach. Concerning photo-related-software, I think it runs just as great on a Windows as a OSX computer. Maby things like color-calibration and backup (Timemachine) are a bit easier, but can be achieved on both platforms. Apart from the OS I think Apple produces nice (but sometimes expencive) hardware, but the only thing particularie importand for photographers here is the screen-quality which is just as great on some PC's to. At the end it just a personal choice, pick the one which feels to most natural to use. Remember your computer needs to be a tool to make your life as photographer easier, it's not a goal by itself.

Just to add a touch of balance(!) I started with PCs back in the DOS2.' days having used a TI994a before that. Because of being in business, I continued with PCs and obviously Windows, starting with V.3.1

As a photographer and graphics/design junkie I think the Mac hardware; both computer and other kit, is beautifully designed with an elegance never achieved by the PC. Nevertheless, because of my experience and knowledge of the beast built up over the years, I am staying with my PC and Vista (I find it works really well despite what other may say to the contrary), so the boring box stays under the desk where I don't need to see it and the NEC Spectraview 269' doesn't lack elegance at all.

Realistically, using either PC or Mac is a pleasant experience now and in the case of programs like Photoshop or Lightroom, for example, things are pretty much functionally identical.

The most important thing is to enjoy whatever you decide to get...

Anthony.

Man... my first computer was an Apple ][+. Then an IBM Micro Channel. Somewhere in there I had a Commodore 64. Ah the memories.

Ian Farlow;2''75 said:
Man... my first computer was an Apple ][+. Then an IBM Micro Channel. Somewhere in there I had a Commodore 64. Ah the memories.
Memories?... :roll:

My first one was a "CARDIAC" computer given to me by Bell Canada in the sixties! ("CARton DIdactique Accessoire" or Didactic Cardboard Accessory if you will). There was a CPU, enough memory I never used it all, a dozen memory pointers, a stack and registers... It was powered by hand by pulling sliders through slots and moving memory pointers in holes. You wrote memory cells with a lead pencil and erased it - as you guessed - with the pencil's eraser. It came with a very well written and illustrated book.

I still have it, it is still working and obviously, never failed! :D

Brad Snyder;2'84' said:
Mine had two sticks with numbers etched on them that rubbed together. All the coeds went crazy for the geeks with the belt-hook slide-rule case. (NOT!)

You are showing your age there Brad, what is a slide rule??????!!:cheesy::lol:

Atari 26'' popped my cherry..

My second, her name was Commodore 64. She gave me 3 yrs of joy with classics like Boulder Dash and Galaxian

Ah, the days of DOS

One thing Victoria did highlight was Parallels (or even VM Ware). You can run Mac OS X, XP and Vista comfortably on one machine.
An iMac would set you back $999, for which you can choose whatever OS you like.
I have a client that likes the look of the iMac and runs only XP on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back