• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Mac Software RAID Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew Hayton

I have set up a mirrored RAID set using disk utility and I am finding that LR is much slower getting the images off the drive. Is there an easy way to remove the drives from the raid set and keep all the info on one drive and then do a manual backup to the second drive? I don't have a spare drive to copy the contents to first.

I had initially set up two drives the same way, but then I realized that the write times would take twice as long. I seem to remember having to reformat the drives to remove them from a RAID array, and I couldn't find a way around that. Unless someone can offer a better solution, I would buy a new HD and clone your old HD to that. Then I would reformat one of the old drives and clone back to it. Then reformat the other one.

Now, I use a JBOD setup, and I use SuperDuper to clone one HD to the other.

I was wondering if I could remove one as though it was damaged and then delete the raid and then plug it in and copy the files back to the first drive but not sure if this would work. Hopefully there might be someone on here that might know.

That sounds a bit techie to me! For the sake of an external drive, which are SO cheap now, I'd still be really tempted to take the safe course.

Here's an update. I copied all my images to a separate hard drive so they were safe. I then powered down one of the 2 drives in the raid. I then used disk utility to delete the raid and it said all data would be lost on the raid but having it backed up it was ok so I hit ok. The raid disappeared and renamed the drive with the raid name and left all the files on it. I then changed the name of the drive to backup. Next I turned on the next drive and back came the raid and I deleted it again and all images were still on the drive.
So it looks like you can delete a raid without losing data as long as one drive is turned off before you do it.

Phew, glad it worked Andrew!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back