• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Mac Pro graphics card choices with Lightroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamdiveruk

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
My 2010 Mac Pro has a Nvidia FX4800 graphics card installed. Lightroom 6/CC2015 can use Graphics Processor Acceleration to speed up and make controls more responsive in the develop mode.

Despite it having Open GL 3.3, the FX4800 is one of the cards that Adobe do not support with Lightroom's GPU acceleration.

So I guess the question is, for those that have cards that support it, firstly, which cards are they, and secondly, does it seem to make big difference?

Separately, I tried to install Color Finale yesterday (for Final Cut Pro) and it needs OpenCL 1.2, while the FX4800 only has 1.1... :(

Thank you!

Adam

Hi Adam,

I have a ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB installed in my MacPro (mid 2012) 3.2 GHz Quad-Core. It works for both Lightroom and Final Cut X.

However, I have GPU support turned off in Lightroom at the moment because it still exhibits some funny visual hitches in the display when working in the develop module. I can't tell much of a difference between GPU and no GPU. This may be because my processor fast enough to handle the 22MB raw files.

-louie

Here's a link to the cards that do not pass the GPU test. Presumably you can use a more recent card from Nvidia that is not on the list. (if you can swap out graphics cards on your Mac)
FWIW, I have not see an appreciable benefit form have GPU acceleration invoked. Perhaps this is due to the limited implementation of GPPU acceleration ing the LR develop module. Later perhaps when newer versions of LR implement GPU acceleration in other areas, there might be a reason to have a card that supports it.

Oops, forgot to include the link, But Louie did that already.

Thanks for the responses. I am aware that my card is not supported! I found the page too.

Does anyone have any feedback about cards that do work well with GPU enabled in Mac Pros?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back