Status
Not open for further replies.

Jens Mogensen

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I have been having trouble tethering my Canon 7D since i chose to give the new Mac Os Sierra a spin.....probably my fault doing so. Thats what beta software sometimes do. But while searching for solutions i have been searching for updated software on the Canon Website, and what strikes me is that Canon in a few days are 3 Mac operating systems "behind". El Capitan and Yosemite is not implemented/certified, and when Apple releases the Sierra OS in september...well that makes 3. What is going on? Are all lightroom users satisfied using "old" software?

I don't understand your remark. You went to the Canon website and noticed that Canon software is behind, and now you ask here if Lightroom users are satisfied with old software. In case you didn't know: Lightroom is an Adobe product, not a Canon product...

Ok..maybe i did not make it clear. I do know who makes with products. I am a Lightroom CC user with a Canon camera and a Apple Macbook pro. The operation system and the software needs to be working together. The tethering with Canon cameras in Lightroom is... not working at the moment. it did work before.... very nicely too. but not now. Maybe it is a Canon problem, maybe it is a Adobe software problem. I am not that much of an expert... so i really don't know what causes this problem..... but having a company as big as Canon not making/updating software for the current/coming Operating systems is a puzzle to me.

Ok..maybe i did not make it clear. I do know who makes with products. I am a Lightroom CC user with a Canon camera and a Apple Macbook pro. The operation system and the software needs to be working together. The tethering with Canon cameras in Lightroom is... not working at the moment. it did work before.... very nicely too. but not now. Maybe it is a Canon problem, maybe it is a Adobe software problem. I am not that much of an expert... so i really don't know what causes this problem..... but having a company as big as Canon not making/updating software for the current/coming Operating systems is a puzzle to me.

Wait till MacOS Sierra is officially released, wait till Adobe has released a Lightroom update for MacOS Sierra compatibility, and then complain if Lightroom can still not tether.

Welcome to the forum Jens!

having a company as big as Canon not making/updating software for the current/coming Operating systems is a puzzle to me.

Yes, that's a puzzle to all of us. There were Nikon tethering issues when El Capitan came out too, which required an update from Nikon.

As far as Lightroom goes, there are some known issues on Sierra at the moment, but Sierra's beta software, so that's to be expected. It would be worth reporting the tethering issue you're seeing at Official Feature Request/Bug Report Forum so that Adobe are aware they need to test tethering carefully before releasing their Sierra compatible update.

It's a good reminder that it's always worth checking compatibility with our most-used software when updating our operating systems, as it sometimes takes a month or longer for other software companies to catch up with OS changes.

Welcome to the forum Jens!

Yes, that's a puzzle to all of us. There were Nikon tethering issues when El Capitan came out too, which required an update from Nikon.

As far as Lightroom goes, there are some known issues on Sierra at the moment, but Sierra's beta software, so that's to be expected. It would be worth reporting the tethering issue you're seeing at Official Feature Request/Bug Report Forum so that Adobe are aware they need to test tethering carefully before releasing their Sierra compatible update.

It's a good reminder that it's always worth checking compatibility with our most-used software when updating our operating systems, as it sometimes takes a month or longer for other software companies to catch up with OS changes.

Thank you Victoria. And thank you for your kind answer. I will try to make a report to the Bug report forum.

I didn't mean to offend you Johan... it was merely an observation that with the current Beta software there are problems.... and thats kind of what Beta is about as far as i am concerned. To try and help the companies get it right before the official release.
I can't get EOS utility to work, and as far as i can see, the Canon webpage is saying that it isn't compatible.... with the last OS that came out a year ago.
And Lightroom reports that the Camera isn't found when i connect it.

I'm not offended, but I think you should realize what using beta software means. If you try Apple MacOS X beta software, then the idea is that you look for problems in that software, and report any problems with it to Apple. It's pretty obvious that any third party software you have installed on your system might not be compatible yet with that beta MacOS X, but that doesn't mean anything as long as you are not also testing some beta version of that software, that is supposed to be compatible.

Like I said, Canon EOS utility works with the current version of MacOS X (at least on my machines it does). That current version is El Capitan however, not Sierra. You don't know what Canon is doing right now, so you don't know how soon after the official release of MacOS X Sierra they will release an update. I would not be surprised if the new version they will bundle with the EOS-5D mk IV next month is already compatible...

Same thing for Lightroom. The version you are using right now is not supposed to be compatible with MacOS X Sierra, so if it turns out that there are indeed some tethering issues, then that is no surprise. Sure, it won't harm if you report it to Adobe, but your remark: 'Are all Lightroom users satisfied with old software?' simply did not make sense. That's all.

I used to be able to tether via Lightroom CC..... now theres is a message saying "Camera not found"
I used to be able to tether via EOS Utillity alone.... now nothing happens once the software opens.
I am using the MacOs Sierra......and have just tried Smart Shooter 3... and tethering via that works....
So go figure......where is the error?
I was just thinking that maybe someone else had found a solution, and was willing to share their thoughts.

I used to be able to tether via Lightroom CC..... now theres is a message saying "Camera not found"
I used to be able to tether via EOS Utillity alone.... now nothing happens once the software opens.
I am using the MacOs Sierra......and have just tried Smart Shooter 3... and tethering via that works....
So go figure......where is the error?

There is no error. Again; it is because your are using MacOS X Sierra and Lightroom and EOS utility aren't supposed to be compatible with that. OK, so you're lucky and Smart Shooter 3 happens to work. Great for you, but it doesn't say anything about Lightroom or EOS Utility. Do yourself a favor: don't install beta software on a production machine!

I was just thinking that maybe someone else had found a solution, and was willing to share their thoughts.

In that case, you may consider that a derogatory remark like "What is going on? Are all lightroom users satisfied using "old" software?" may not be the best way to ask that.

Johan! You are simply too much guru for me....lets not continue this anymore. Bye.

I think you two are just talking at cross-purposes.

Jens is simply asking which of the three companies will need to fix the problem he's seeing, once it's out of beta. And Johan's simply saying that it's not surprising it doesn't work yet as it's beta software.

Both of you are right, and both are phrasing things in a way that isn't coming over well in the written word. There's a lack of facial expressions and tone of voice that can make things seem far more argumentative in writing than they're meant. So let's chill out guys.

Thank you Victoria. Nice of you to mediate here. I am sorry Johan. I didn't mean to cause trouble here.

Hi Jens
I can confirm your issue as I have the same issue. I did update to the Sierra Beta and since the update the tethering in lightroom stopped working. I tested the my cameras with the EOS Utility 3 and there it seems to be working ok. Also tested it in Capture one 9 and it is not working correctly there either , it finds the camera but seems to have issue with finding the lens. I have two Canon 5d Mark III and in capture one sometimes one of the cameras worked after a few tries to tether and one does not work at all. I did test the tethering on another computer with the older OS and there the tethering in lightroom worked as always. So it might not be a sole adobe issue as I have issues in capture one as well. As said in capture one it finds the camera but not the lens sometimes i was able to take pictures without the lens info sometimes it does not work. Also when capture one does not find the lens live view is also not working. when testing live view in EOS Utility 3 live view worked for one of the two cameras but after the latest beta update 7, both cameras have live view in the EOS utility but unfortunalty no luck in Lightroom or capture one. Lets hope some of the software makers finds a solutions

To add to using beta software aka macOS. Being a beta testing one the reason for using the software, this is to identify any issue in the development of the software prior to lease date.

Well thats my point exactly. I know i am using beta software, and i take the risk of things not working. But it seems to me that if i experience problems while using Beta software i should report it.... and preferably also in a forum thats seems relevant to the issue.
My comment on the software being "old" is due to the fact that it on the Canon support pages says " Canon has not yet determined if this product will be compatible with the operating system selected. Please refer back to this site in the near future for updates." The operating system being El Capitan.... as that is the newest you can choose on the webpage. So a year later Canon is not sure if their software is compatible.......
In a few days this operating system will be surpassed by the Sierra OS. By the way Lightroom CC has functioned without problems with the Beta so far...
And... seems to me that it is not only the users who should take part of the Beta software testing if they have the nerve. The companys who rely on software running on these new systems will risk have big problems if they don't test as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back