• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

(Mac only) Symbolic Link to sync Presets with Dropbox across two machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobOK

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Mac LR CC Classic latest version
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
I was using a Symlink to point my Presets folder to a Dropbox folder which then synced across to another machine that had the same Symlink. Symlink are basically folder pointers.

With the latest upgrade, I am don't think that will work, I think the Symlinks are disabled in Library folders where the Presets now live.

Is anyone knowledgeable about this and whether there is any way to sync Presets across machines?

Thanks,
Rob.

You can still sync other presets this way, but for the CameraRaw folder and all its subfolders this does indeed not work.

What you can do is make a copy of the folder and place that in Dropbox. Then use a synchronisation utility to sync this copy with the original on both machines.

You can still sync other presets this way, but for the CameraRaw folder and all its subfolders this does indeed not work.

What you can do is make a copy of the folder and place that in Dropbox. Then use a synchronisation utility to sync this copy with the original on both machines.

So syncing from Dropbox to the Camera Raw folder -- sounds convoluted but workable. Do you have a sync tool to recommend, I don't currently use one.

So syncing from Dropbox to the Camera Raw folder -- sounds convoluted but workable. Do you have a sync tool to recommend, I don't currently use one.
www.goodsync.com . Mac version available. Highly recommended.

P{hil Burton

Any decent sync utility will do, but the best utility is one that watches the folders and can be triggered to sync if something in those folders has changed. I have setup a system that runs in the background, but that was a bit more complicated because I used 'Hazel' for it. Hazel is a great utility, but it can't sync and watch folders in two directions, so I had to setup a system to make it do that anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back