• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Mac LR trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

greg_1

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Classic 10.?
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
I'm a Windows guy in real life, but I have to use Lightroom (Classic) at work occasionally on an iMac (Catalina 10.15.7, 3.2 GHz quad i5, 16gb RAM). LRC was recently updated to v.10, and now it crashes constantly. I was able to shoot a few shots tethered into the catalog, but as soon as I tried to do anything in the develop module, I get the beachball. When I reopened it last, I couldn't even get to the library grid window without a crash. Any ideas?

Try turning off the GPU (Preferences > Performance) - it solves a lot of the current performance issues.

Also, check the actual version - many found 10.0 better than 10.1 (or 10.1.1)

Failing that, quite a few have stayed on 9.4. Difficult to revert if there's been a fair bit of work done in the catalog as the format was updated.

Adobe are well aware and working on the performance issues, but the above may help.

Try turning off the GPU (Preferences > Performance) - it solves a lot of the current performance issues.

Failing that, quite a few have stayed on 9.4. Difficult to revert if there's been a fair bit of work done in the catalog as the format was updated.

Adobe are well aware and working on the performance issues, but the above may help.
Thanks for this. There's been no work in the catalog since the update, so would reversion to 9.4 be possible? How is that done?

Hi, this is the first time I've posted on the forum.
I have had the problem of my mac freezing completely with Lightroom on 10.1.1 but did not have it happen on 10 although there were delays occasionally. I was going to update to Catalina anyway and have the link to still do so from the Apple Store would that improve the situation with the latest version of Lightroom.

I feel Big Sur is still a little too early on in updates as yet, I never upgrade until 2nd or preferably 3rd versions.

Thanks for any replies

Having had a look round the internet I think I've answered my own question. It seems that it's not just Mojave that has this problem, Catalina and Big Sur both seem to suffer too.
I'm going to roll back to version 10 as although it had some delays it was better than this and I can still retain work I've done in version 10 catalogue.

I really would to see some sign that this issue is genuinely recognized and being prioritized at Adobe. We’re 3 months in all we get is deafening silence. For me there is a wider issue of trust, and my confidence in Lr and Adobe in general has been severely dented. Since December I have been using CaptureOne full time. And I have to say as an editor it works significantly bette for me than Lr. But Lr has better DAM, which I‘m heavily invested in. But the wisdom of that investment, not to say of paying Adobe every month for software that just does not work, is looking very doubtful. Just about had it with Adobe.

I really would to see some sign that this issue is genuinely recognized and being prioritized at Adobe.

I had meetings with Adobe Product Managers Friday and yesterday. It's by far their top priority but has proved tricky to track down and fix. A fix is on the way, but I'm not at liberty to share dates. They are inviting many of those affected to test a special prerelease version to confirm that they've nailed the fix and to get those people up and running again. If you want in, post on the bug report thread on the feedback site and ping me a note so I recognise your username and I'll pass it on to the applicable staff member to see if we can get you access.

Thanks for the update! It really would do Adobe a world of good to communicate this directly, but whatever. Seems customer goodwill is so abundant they don't feel they need to.

I did actually have access to Betas at one point, but after they released 10.1 with blatant new issues, regardless of the fact that these issues had been carefully documented and reported on by myself and others in the pre-release community, I decided I was wasting my time. To be fair, I imagine Adobe developers are similarly frustrated by their marketing-led micromanagers.

So, thanks again, but I'll let others be the guinea pigs. There are plenty with exactly the same hardware configuration as me.

Thanks for the update! It really would do Adobe a world of good to communicate this directly, but whatever. Seems customer goodwill is so abundant they don't feel they need to.

There are many who would like to say more but getting statements past the lawyers is a nightmare. I have a little more freedom to share.

This worked (sort of). No crashes since turning of GPU. Function is noticeably slow and "jerky" but can live with for awhile if a fix is on the way.
Thanks!

It's march now, after more than three mo nths still no news from Adobe...it seems the temporary fix to disable GPU and or revert to 10.0 is definitive . :(

It's march now, after more than three months still no news from Adobe...it seems the temporary fix to disable GPU and or revert to 10.0 is definitive . :(
No, not true (that reversion to 10.0 is definitive). Understandably Adobe want to get this one right, and extensive testing has been going into the next update (which looks good).

Please be assured as soon as it's released we will be shouting about it!

Thanks Paul, I hope so but ...you know with covid skyrocketing in the area where I live it is easy to be a little "depressed" ...
I'm LR user since first release and cannot do without it !
Planning to buy a new computer in the year but desire to see which are the developments with new M chips based computer before a decision.
Thanks again :)

I completely understand, Robert. These have been very hard times.

We're interested in when 'M' chip iMacs may emerge!

Stick with it, Lightroom solutions will be coming...

is 10.2 the version which should solve the GPU related problems? AThe blog here and a friend told me so, but before upgrading I would like to know from users experience!
Thanks in advance:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back