• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Mac eGPU constantly maxxing out when on LR classic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
For the past 2+ years I have been using my 2018 Mac Mini i7 (64GB Ram) with an eGPU (AMD Rx580 in Razer Core X TB enclosure) with great success, but recently the GPU has started overheating and without intervention it will crash the Mac.

If I leave LR Classic to build 1:1 previews for a folder, I will come back to a crashed Mac and when restarted, only 25% or so of the previews are built. This can go on repeatedly.
I've looked at crash reports and other contributing devices and software but it seems Lightroom Classic is the only common factor.

I use iStat Menus to monitor the Mac and a consistent and revealing behaviour is that when I use Lightroom for a GPU intensive task the GPU memory builds up but never drops down even when there is no activity at all. Quitting LR and re-opening purges the GPU memory. I have attached a file below where you see the high usage, which only drops when restarted (at the top of the cliff).

I use two monitors, a 2K BenQ SW270C connected to the GPU by DP and a 1K Eizo CG241W connected to the GPU by HDMI.
My LR Performance settings are maxed to Use GPU for Export and the system info in LR confirms the GPU is supported by default.

This behaviour was intermittent over the last 2 years and has been increasing over the last 6 months to the point now that it is constant.
I have updated all software and drivers consistently, but am holding off updating to Ventura on this Mac until I'm sure it is stable for pro workflow.

The Mac's crash reports and other logs haven't given me any clues but I am not that savvy with the finer details of that level of IT, so hardly surprising.
However, if someone on the forum does have that deeper understanding and has some ideas as to how I can diagnose and/or fix this issue then I would really appreciate it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-24 at 4.24.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-24 at 4.24.02 PM.png
    93.2 KB · Views: 76
It's possible that your eGPU has a dust buildup inside the case which leads to overheating. You might want to peek inside and blow any dust out. Also, make sure the GPU fan is running.

Thanks Hal, good advice.
But, yes that is one of the first things I did when I saw the temp spikes a couple of months ago.
I can run Davinci Resolve all day and the GPU behaves normally.
As soon as I use LR the GPU maxes out and doesn’t go down afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back