• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

M1 iPad questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bposner

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
I'm not sure if this is the right area to post this.
I have finally upgraded my Ipad 2 that I bought that in 2011 or sometime that basically can't really do anything anymore and ordered an iPad Air M1 as I'd like to start editing on a mobile device when I'm out. I currently use Lightroom Classic on an iMac and Macbook Air. I've looked at some YT videos and I'm somewhat confused about some issues.
1. Do I have to start using the Lightroom Cloud-based version on my Mac to keep things synched?, including getting my current presets over to the iPad?
2. Can I run both Classic and Cloud versions at the same time on the Mac, if so, should I?
I have been using Lightroom for over 12 years in some form or another, but only know the parts that I use :) Any help or links would be much appreciated.
Thanks

1. Do I have to start using the Lightroom Cloud-based version on my Mac to keep things synched?, including getting my current presets over to the iPad?
No, you can use Classic LR and may never have any need to install the Cloudy version. I assume you know that photos which you import on the iPad will automatically appear in your synced Classic catalogue.

2. Can I run both Classic and Cloud versions at the same time on the Mac, if so, should I?
You can, but need not do so. Maybe just for curiosity?

I think the one reason might be if you want to clear originals synced to Adobe in order to free up sync space. Cloudy has a filter for Sync Status - the "Synced and Backed Up" means original is in the cloud and using up your allocation.

John, thanks for your reply. No, I was not aware of the synched classic catalog process. That's good to hear, as the iPad will be a supplemental editor station, not my main station. The reason I want it is so that when out in the field away from any Internet connection, I can still edit and have an external drive where I'd keep the files when out.

So as far as presets, I just need to copy over to LR on iPad?
Thanks for the help.

No, you can use Classic LR and may never have any need to install the Cloudy version. I assume you know that photos which you import on the iPad will automatically appear in your synced Classic catalogue.

You can, but need not do so. Maybe just for curiosity?

I think the one reason might be if you want to clear originals synced to Adobe in order to free up sync space. Cloudy has a filter for Sync Status - the "Synced and Backed Up" means original is in the cloud and using up your allocation.

Put presets to one side for now. You need to learn about syncing, and that begins by enabling sync in your main catalogue. Have you never done this?

I have an M1 iPadPro and use it as the front end to my master catalog on my iMac. Lightroom Classic runs on the iMac and Lightroom runs on the iPadPro. What keeps them together is the Adobe cloud . Lightroom Classic syncs images to the Adobe Cloud and these are then available to Lightroom on the iPadPro. In the other direction, images imported into Lightroom are sent to the cloud which stores the full size image and then syncs that full size image to your Lightroom Classic Catalog and stores a copy on your computer in the specified sync folder.

Your can edit on either device and the edit adjustments show up with the images on every machine.
Some things to consider. Images imported into the Adobe cloud from Lightroom need to fit into your cloud storage plan. So a 20GB plan will cause problems since the 20GB is less that the available storage on a typical camera card used today.
Another thing. to consider is keywords. They are not the same and keywords sync only one time, one way from Classic to the Cloud when the Classic image is first sync'd I save my keywording to be done only on Classic.
Also I find it best to delete (permanently) all my images in Classic and doing so in Lightroom can cause some confusion. I can set a reject flag(X) in Lightroom and know to deleted those rejected images once I am back working in Classic.
One other item to note Lightroom Classic syncs smartDNGs to the cloud and these do not count against your Adobe storage plan.

Thanks, Clee.
I try to avoid the cloud for images, as the iPad will be with me in the field and overnighters in places without any cell or wireless access. I want to keep it local when out and then synch when back to the studio. I want to have the same presets with me. Even though I have a MacBook air, that I was using, I like the pencil idea for editing as I use a stylus and tablet on the Mac and I'm used to using a pen-like device. Thanks.

I have an M1 iPadPro and use it as the front end to my master catalog on my iMac. Lightroom Classic runs on the iMac and Lightroom runs on the iPadPro. What keeps them together is the Adobe cloud . Lightroom Classic syncs images to the Adobe Cloud and these are then available to Lightroom on the iPadPro. In the other direction, images imported into Lightroom are sent to the cloud which stores the full size image and then syncs that full size image to your Lightroom Classic Catalog and stores a copy on your computer in the specified sync folder.

Your can edit on either device and the edit adjustments show up with the images on every machine.
Some things to consider. Images imported into the Adobe cloud from Lightroom need to fit into your cloud storage plan. So a 20GB plan will cause problems since the 20GB is less that the available storage on a typical camera card used today.
Another thing. to consider is keywords. They are not the same and keywords sync only one time, one way from Classic to the Cloud when the Classic image is first sync'd I save my keywording to be done only on Classic.
Also I find it best to delete (permanently) all my images in Classic and doing so in Lightroom can cause some confusion. I can set a reject flag(X) in Lightroom and know to deleted those rejected images once I am back working in Classic.
One other item to note Lightroom Classic syncs smartDNGs to the cloud and these do not count against your Adobe storage plan.

Not extensively, I've used it a few times years ago.

Start by going to LR Classic's Preferences, Lightroom Sync, and choose a folder where you want photos to sync into, and choose the subfolder structure. In my own case, this subfolder structure is also the set of folders which is used when I import normally - raws imported on the iPhone or the main computer always end up in the same places.

Then click the cloud icon at the right of the top panel, and start syncing.

These two steps mean that any new photos that arrive from the cloud (ie which were imported on the iPad) will be synced down into LR Classic in the subfolder structure which you defined above.

They also mean that original files are now on your hard drive, and in Adobe's cloud are copies. You need to be clear about this - which is the original, and which is merely a cloud copy. The cloud copy can be deleted, which frees up cloud space.

So your next step is to shoot a few test pictures, watch them appear in your catalogue, and experiment.

You might also want to have a read of the Cloud Sync chapter in your book, there's more detail than you need at this stage but you'll get the idea.

I try to avoid the cloud for images, as the iPad will be with me in the field and overnighters in places without any cell or wireless access. I want to keep it local when out and then synch when back to the studio. I
The Adobe Cloud is an excellent means to sync images from the iPad to Lr Classic. You only need to be connected to the internet when Both machines are at home. Often my iPadPro is in the field with little or no connectivity, If I am overnight in a hotel with fire WiFi or when my iPadPro connects to my home network, Lightroom will sync to the cloud and the cloud syncs to my LrC catalog. Since my iMac is on 7X24 it syncs as soon as the cloud sends new images or image edits.
While you do need an internet connection to sync, you do not need to sync until you have a fast internet connection. I was recently gone for 10 days and my iPadPro did not sync until I returned.

That's great news. I look forward to setting this up and trying out new (to me) technology. I use to be in the Tech business, but now that I've been retired from it for 10 years, it's gone way over my head.. as I don't live it everyday now. Thanks for the help!

The Adobe Cloud is an excellent means to sync images from the iPad to Lr Classic. You only need to be connected to the internet when Both machines are at home. Often my iPadPro is in the field with little or no connectivity, If I am overnight in a hotel with fire WiFi or when my iPadPro connects to my home network, Lightroom will sync to the cloud and the cloud syncs to my LrC catalog. Since my iMac is on 7X24 it syncs as soon as the cloud sends new images or image edits.
While you do need an internet connection to sync, you do not need to sync until you have a fast internet connection. I was recently gone for 10 days and my iPadPro did not sync until I returned.

… I've been retired from it for 10 years, it's gone way over my head.. as I don't live it everyday now. Thanks for the help!
I’ve been retired from it since 2008. I have persisted with the Adobe products ever since. So I guess I stay current on Adobe and Apple Products.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back