LUT's vs Presets vs Develop Default Settings (at import)

Zenon

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
I'm having another look at LUT's and trying to wrap my head around it. It seems more geared towards video. The process always winds up in Premier. I found a youtube video, the presenter was a still photographer and it also wound up in Premier.

So what is the difference between a Preset and a LUT? You make all your personal adjustments and export to create the LUT. Why just not use a Preset with the same adjustments?

I use Develop Default Settings that auto apply all my tweaks that include colour adjustments, lens corrections and NR and sharpening tweaks. I realize LUT's are for colour and basic panel adjustments, not sharpening or NR .

My colour adjustments are applied at import. I can apply a preset with colour tweaks and sync. What is the advantage in using a LUT?

JohanElzenga

Lightroom Guru
Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Lightroom does not use LUT's directly, but you can incorporate them into a profile. The main difference between presets and profiles is that profiles do not change any settings, so they can be used for relative corrections. Presets are always absolute corrections. Say you add a preset with +0.5 exposure. If your image already has a +0.5 exposure setting, then this preset won't do anything. But a profile that incorporates +0.5 exposure would come on top of the existing setting, so even though the slider would still show +0.5, the effect would be +1.0 by now. Relative corrections are an often asked feature.

Another advantage of a LUT could be more precise color changes (in a more limited range of colors) than you can do with a bunch of sliders in HSL.