• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • The November 2019 Lightroom updates are now available. Lightroom Classic includes the ability to export the same photos as multiple sizes/formats in a single export, content aware fill for panorama edges and more. It does require a catalog format upgrade and there are updated system requirements, so you may want to wait a few days before upgrading.
    Lightroom (cloud-based service) has export options (such as TIFF format, renaming and color space), custom sort order on the desktop, copy/paste to multiple photos on iOS and more.
    The Missing FAQ and Edit Like a Pro eBooks are already updated for the changes.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Apple TV and Web? Then you'll love my new book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit Like a Pro!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

LRmobile (Android) syncing with LR Classic (PC) -- how to manage cloud storage

eschurr

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version
LR Classic v 8.4
Operating System
Windows 10, Android
I need some help in understanding how to manage cloud storage when syncing from LRm (Android) to LR Classic (PC). I've searched this forum/googled/read adobe's site and haven't found exactly what i need.

i use LRm on my Samsung Galaxy S8+ to shoot DNGs and sync them to LR Classic on my Windows 10 PC. Recently the sync stopped working because I've exceeded my Adobe Cloud storage space. I'm trying to determine how i can free up that storage space so syncing will resume.

Some key points:

1. I don't care a lot about leaving the photos in the cloud. Once the photos are synced to my PC i'm ok if they are gone from the cloud.
2. I'd like to keep the photos on my phone, but that's optional, too. The primary reason i shoot LRm on my phone is to have a handy way to take a pic and automatically get the photos to LR Classic on my PC, where i manage them. So, once the photos are synced to my PC
2. i only have a few synced albums in LRm on my phone. I can certainly delete those if it helps.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or recommended reading.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Select them in LrClassic in All Synced Photos, and delete them from there. This unsyncs them and removes them from any synced collections. Then sync them again, eg by adding them back to the synced collections. They now sync as smart previews and don't use space.

Alternatively, unsync the collection, then sync it again.

eschurr

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Thank you for the quick reply. I have a few questions:

-- when they are removed from "any synced collections," i gather this means they are only removed from the cloud (and not on my PC or phone)?
-- what is the point of re-syncing them?

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Yes, removing from ASP means the originals (ie photos taken on your phone) are removed from the cloud. Just try it with a test photo.

Resyncing them makes them available on your phone again, but only as smart previews, not using space. That assumes that you want the pictures on the phone (your first point 2).

eschurr

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Wow. That's very clear and simple advice. I tried it with a test photo as you suggested. I think i get it.

Am i correct that you're proposing this workflow for me:

1. Shoot photos in LRm on my phone. The originals auto sync to the cloud and LR Classic on my PC.
2. In LRc, on my PC, after they have synced, delete them from "all synced photos." This removes the original from the cloud and from my phone
3. If i want the photos available on my phone, i re-sync them in LRc (is the only way to do this by creating a collection in LRc and syncing it?)

Also, is this correct:

1. if shoot photos on LRm, the originals auto sync to the cloud and my PC in LRc
2. If i delete photos shot in LRm on my phone, they delete from my phone and the cloud but remain on my PC in LRc
3. If delete them from the main catalog on my PC in LRc, they remain in the cloud and my phone
4. If i delete them from All Synced Photos in LR Classic on my PC, they remain on my PC but not in the cloud or my phone

Sorry for the newbie questions; i know a lot more about LR Classic than i do about LRm

Lightroom Experience
Power User
That is the workflow that manages the space best, and ensures that your photos are downloaded (ie are in LrClassic) .

To sync them in LrClassic, you can drag them back into ASP or add them to a synced collection. The latter is better because it's easier to find photos and they probably belong in groups anyway.

1. Yes
2. They remain on your PC if they have already synced down into LrClassic before you deleted them on the phone. So one should be cautious about deleting on the phone, though there is now a Deleted collection in the cloud
3. Depends where you are deleting them from. Deleting them from ASP or a collection, yes. Deleting from a folder deletes them everywhere.
4. Yes

eschurr

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
thanks again for all your help. I was stuck and this really helped a lot.

in a related question, i deleted some collections in LRm that i had created in LRm. i was surprised to see them still in the "From LR Mobile" collection set on LRc. I thought that would delete the collection everywhere.

eschurr

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
As I try to implement this I have a few related questions:
-- does it matter if i delete the photo in LRc from ASP or a synced collection? Will the end result of removing the photos from the cloud (and my phone) be the same?
-- If i delete a synced collection from LRc, will it also delete the photos from the cloud and the phone?

I would try all this myself but my LRm/LRc syncing isn't working right now because i'm over capacity.

i really appreciate your help.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
"does it matter if i delete the photo in LRc from ASP or a synced collection?"

Yes, because deleting from ASP tells Adobe "remove it from the server". Deleting from a synced collection only tells Adobe "remove it from the collection" so it'll still be in ASP, just not in any collection.

"If i delete a synced collection from LRc, will it also delete the photos from the cloud and the phone?"

If you delete the collection, you get a message asking if you want to leave the photos in ASP. It's a bit wordy, but you need to uncheck the box.

eschurr

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
John, you're exceptionally helpful. Thank you so much. i hope these are my last questions because I fear I am already over-doing this:

-- if i unsync the collection in LRc on my PC, it appears it does not delete the photos from my phone or ASP (and therefore not the server). is that correct?
-- i tried deleting a synced collection from LRc and got the wordy dialog. I'm pretty sure that it indicates that the photos will delete from the server and other devices, but am i correct that the photos will remain on my PC in LRc?

It seems to me the only way to delete the photos from LRc on my PC is to delete the photos specifically from the grid or folder view. In other words, once the photos are in LRc on my PC, nothing will delete them except a specific action on the photo in LRc. or the PC. That's good.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
"-- if i unsync the collection in LRc on my PC, it appears it does not delete the photos from my phone or ASP (and therefore not the server). is that correct?"

Yes, it unsyncs the collection. So the collection disappears from the phone and Adobe's server, but the photos are still synced. So they are shown in ASP and if they are originals they use your space.

"-- i tried deleting a synced collection from LRc and got the wordy dialog. I'm pretty sure that it indicates that the photos will delete from the server and other devices, but am i correct that the photos will remain on my PC in LRc?"

Yes, just as when you are deleting a normal collection.

"It seems to me the only way to delete the photos from LRc on my PC is to delete the photos specifically from the grid or folder view. In other words, once the photos are in LRc on my PC, nothing will delete them except a specific action on the photo in LRc. or the PC. That's good."

Removing from collections, unsyncing collections, deleting collections, removing from ASP are all safe. Deleting from grid/folder is deleting.

Practically, what I do is this. My originals in the cloud are photos/videos taken on my iPhone and raw files from my camera which I sometimes import when I want to examine/share them before I get home. They're generally in a collection and I want them to remain in it, but I don't want originals in the cloud. The trouble is, deleting them from ASP deletes then from the synced collection. So, I use the quick collection to help me. Once I see the photos in LrClassic I select them in the folder or collection grid view, Ctrl Shift B to empty the quick collection, hit B to add these photos to the QC, then go to ASP and hit Delete. This removes the originals from the cloud but takes them out of the synced collection. So quickly back to QC, select all, and add them to that synced collection. That's very quick.

eschurr

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Wow,. You have taught me so much in this thread; the information is clear and practical. I feel empowered to deal with the situation. In fact, i'm going to do a little summary write up to gather everything i've learned and share them with others. I'll bet a lot of people are confused on this topic. Before i do that, i'd like to ask a question:

-- is there a way to tell in LRc if a Adobe is retaining an original version of the photo in the cloud or a preview version? In other words, if i look at the photos in ASP (or a synched collection) , can i tell which ones have their originals in the cloud (and therefore need to be deleted from ASP and readded) and which ones don't?

Lightroom Experience
Power User
It's probably time to move forward, do more tests and then try on a larger scale.

One problem with documenting this is that it's a bit of a moving target! I don't just mean that Adobe keep switching round the product names, and the names of tabs or features, and changing dialog boxes, but a couple of key details have changed over the last three years. I don't want to confuse anyone by listing them, but my advice was different before those changes.

-- is there a way to tell in LRc if a Adobe is retaining an original version of the photo in the cloud or a preview version? In other words, if i look at the photos in ASP (or a synched collection) , can i tell which ones have their originals in the cloud (and therefore need to be deleted from ASP and readded) and which ones don't?
You would hope so, but no, not in Lightroom Classic. There is a way in Lightroom Cloudy, but it means installing it! It has filters, one of which is "Synced and backed up" - this means original versions.

Practically, I use a collection called iOS Photos to import any originals on the phone. So I can always flush the system by emptying it.

eschurr

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Again, your reply was very helpful. I like the idea of having all photos shot in LRm to default to a specific collection so you can periodically review them, delete them from ASP, and resync the photos. That's a very simple, clean approach.

i summarized the key elements of what i learned from you below. i'm going to keep it and share it with others if it helps them. Do i have it correct?

Adding photos

-- Take a photo in LRm: it syncs the original to the cloud and toLRc

-- Add a photo to LRc via import and sync it to Adobe cloud: it only syncs a preview to the cloud and all synched devices

How to synch from LRc to LRm:

-- add a photo to All Synced Photos

-- add a photo to a synced LRc collection

-- choose to sync an existing LRc collection

Deleting photos

-- delete photo in LRm: it deletes from the cloud but not LRc

-- delete a synched photo in LRc: it deletes in the cloud and on LRm if you tell LRc to do that

--delete a photo from ASP: it deletes from the cloud and all synced devices

Managing synced Collections

-- create a collection in LRm: it automatically appears in LRc

-- create a collection in LRc: it appears in LRm if you choose the sync option

-- delete a collection on LRm: it deletes from the cloud but remains in the "From LR Mobile" collection set on LRc

-- delete a synched collection from LRc: it deletes the collection from the cloud and LRm, but the photo remains in LRm (on the phone)