• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • 21 May 2024 It's Lightroom update time again! See What’s New in Lightroom Classic 13.3, Mobile & Desktop (May 2024)? for all the update news, including Generative Remove using Firefly AI and more!

LRC update and catalog problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLepore775

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
LRC
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Because of a new camera purchase I realized I needed to update my LRC to current version for raw file support. Turns out I was running LRC v8.2 on my Windows 10 desktop. I opened my CC Desktop app went to upgrade. Here is where it gets hazy because I did something wrong and don't remember exactly what I did. I was prompted about converting my catalog for the new version. I don't remember exactly what I clicked on other than at the time I thought it was correct. I assumed this would be like the other times I had to have my catalog converted for a new version. What happened next is the LRC opened up with the message Click the "Import..." button to begin. Made no sense to me until I looked on the left side and saw that my catalog was empty. Everything was at zero. I looked at the system info under the Help tab and it stated I had Lightroom Classic version 10.1.1 version installed. I looked around my computer and found the following files Lightroom Catalog-v10 Helper.lrdata and Lightroom Catalog-v10 Helper.lrdata. Each contains 2 files and under 150kb. Not sure how they ended up on my root drive as i did not prompt they to go there. My original Lightroom Library and Lightroom 5 Catalong-2-2.lrcat in addition to all the other relevant files right in the places they have always been and clearly in the same state before I went to upgrade I should mention here that several years I started following the lightroomqueen LR backup page/list.. Including its most recent iteration I have multiple copies of all the files. I made 2 sets just before I tried the upgrade. I am at a loss as to what is the best course of action. It is curious that when I look at my CC desktop app it states that I am still in LRC v8.2 and that an update is available. Do I just install LRC altogether and then install LRC v8.2. What does it mean that my CC desktop app has me back at V8.2 but if I open LR it states I am at 10.1.1? . It appears that my catalog was never converted. If the best course it to get back to v8.2 how to I link up by catalog and library? I really don't know what to do and am hoping someone might be able to proffer the best procedure for me to resolve these issues.

Lyle

Solution
Apparently you let Lightroom open a new catalog. Your old LrC v8.x catalog should be in the same folder or the folder where you were storing it if you did not use the default location. Look for it with Explorer and when you find it, double click on the file to open it with LrCv10. It will ask you to let LrCv10 read the file and convert it to a new v10 structure. When complete your new catalog will be named as the old catalog name but with a -V10 appended to the file name.
Apparently you let Lightroom open a new catalog. Your old LrC v8.x catalog should be in the same folder or the folder where you were storing it if you did not use the default location. Look for it with Explorer and when you find it, double click on the file to open it with LrCv10. It will ask you to let LrCv10 read the file and convert it to a new v10 structure. When complete your new catalog will be named as the old catalog name but with a -V10 appended to the file name.

Solution
Thank you for the help! I thought it was a more expansive issue so I am quite pleased at how easy it was to get up and running again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back