• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • 25 June 2024 It's Lightroom update time again! See What’s New in Lightroom Classic 13.4, Mobile & Desktop (June 2024)? for the bug fixes and new lens profiles. Warning... this is a minor dot release and does NOT fix some of the bugs introduced in 13.3, so if you reverted to 13.2 due to bugs (e.g. sync issues), we'd suggest you stay there for now.

LrC shows 32 images syncing but Sync Activity empty

Status
Not open for further replies.

alanhunt

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 13.1 [ 202312111226-41a494e8 ]
Operating System
  1. Windows 11
In Lightroom Classic, Sync Activity from the Cloud icon in the upper right shows "syncing 34 photos". It has been this way for two months and I'm just having time to write this. When I go to Preferences==>Lightroom Sync, Sync Activity shows "(0 uploading, 0 downloading, 0 pending)". I have attached several screen shots. I have rebooted my machine, and restarted. I have shut down Lightroom and deleted the Sync.lrdata file and restarted Lightroom. Other sync activity functions fine. Images I take with my phone are still automatically downloading and new synced collections sync fine. I have upgraded my graphics card to the current driver.
There are several attachments with documentation.
Thanks,
Alan Hunt

Attachments

• LR System Info Alan Hunt.txt
    13.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 52
  • Slide2.JPG
    Slide2.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Slide3.JPG
    Slide3.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 45
Have you visited https://lightroom.adobe.com to see if there's anything stuck in the cloud? There should be a Sync Errors album under All Photos in the web UI.

Yes. I have checked Lightroom on the web, and I see no evidence of Sync errors, etc. I posted on Adobe's bug forum and received a reply from an Adobe employee. He recommended "
Try these steps:
Apply a flag or rating to some images already syncing in Lightroom Classic & let Lightroom sit idle for 30-40 minutes to finish syncing.
Also, log on to Lightroom Web (https://adobe.ly/488zVWp) & check for any sync issues on the web. Before making any changes to sync issues, locate & back up these images away from Lightroom. Lightroom sync might not function as expected as there are sync issues.
Check the Deleted tab in Lightroom Web & clear out any items you don't need or already have backup for.
After these inputs, let Lightroom Classic run for a while & check if the number of pending sync items changes."

I have tried the steps that he recommended and have not found the problem. I never received a reply to my follow-up there.
Thanks,
Alan Hunt

I have found that often the problem seems to be a wayward Adobe App Manager. My solution has been to exit LrC. Log out using the Adobe Application Manager, Exit that app. and reboot the computer. After the reboot log back in to Adobe using the Adobe Application Manager, restart LrC. That may clear up the apparent erroneous Sync message.

I don't believe I have Adobe Application Manager on my machine. Is it part of Creative Cloud?

Thanks,
Alan Hunt
Names have changed over the year since it was first implemented by Adobe as the Adobe Creative Cloud Application Manager.app. Now it is simply called "Creative Cloud" app

Yes. I have checked Lightroom on the web, and I see no evidence of Sync errors, etc. I posted on Adobe's bug forum and received a reply from an Adobe employee. He recommended "
Have you got a link to that thread please?

Sameer's a good guy, I'd bump that thread as he may be able to get a log in front of the engineers.

That said, are you purely using sync to download mobile images (5GB for 497 images suggests so) or have you got shared albums that need to retain their links. I'm only asking because if you have a local copy of all photos and there's not many photos up there, it's sometimes simplest just to delete the cloud library and upload any photos you actually want in the cloud.

I had a chance to sign out of everything and restart my machine and no change. I use sync to download mobile images and I also have synced collections in Lightroom that are part of my Adobe Portfolio (https://maryandalanhunt.com/). So I think that if I delete the cloud library it may cause problems for Portfolio.

I am not sure how to "bump that thread" but that sounds like a good idea. How do I do that? Would "Upvote" bump it?
Thanks,
Alan

Ah yes it might cause issues for Portfolio, I haven't tested that carefully.

To bump the thread, just reply to Sameer again and tag his name. It just brings it back to the top of the pile.

I am still having this problem. I have tried everything suggested by Sameer with Adobe (Re: LrC shows 32 images syncing but Sync Activity empty). Somewhere along the line, one of Sameer's responses was marked as "Correct Reply", even though nothing has changed on my end. I know this is not your problem but can someone here offer advice on how to proceed? I have posted several pleas for a response on Adobe's site, but no answer.
Thanks,
Alan Hunt

Ok, let's start from the top. I know you've answered some of these questions before, but things could have changed since you posted the issue initially.

1. Are there any photos in a Sync Issues collection on the web?
2. Are there any photos in Deleted Photos on the web?
3. If you open Classic Preferences > Sync and wait a moment, do any notes show up?
4. If you scroll through All Synced Photographs in Classic, can you spot any photos that have the ... with the sync icon, showing that sync isn't complete?
5. As you noted in your thread on the Adobe forum, I think you're right about the mystery 32 being those in Classic, which makes me wonder why they're not uploading. That makes me think some of the photos in your catalog might be marked as missing, so Library menu > Find All Missing Photos might help identify which ones.

Ok, let's start from the top. I know you've answered some of these questions before, but things could have changed since you posted the issue initially.

1. Are there any photos in a Sync Issues collection on the web?
2. Are there any photos in Deleted Photos on the web?
3. If you open Classic Preferences > Sync and wait a moment, do any notes show up?
4. If you scroll through All Synced Photographs in Classic, can you spot any photos that have the ... with the sync icon, showing that sync isn't complete?
5. As you noted in your thread on the Adobe forum, I think you're right about the mystery 32 being those in Classic, which makes me wonder why they're not uploading. That makes me think some of the photos in your catalog might be marked as missing, so Library menu > Find All Missing Photos might help identify which ones.
Here are my answers:
Are there any photos in a Sync Issues collection on the web? No
2. Are there any photos in Deleted Photos on the web? No
3. If you open Classic Preferences > Sync and wait a moment, do any notes show up? No. Under Sync Activity, the header says "(0 Uploading, 0 Downloading, 0 Pending)
4. If you scroll through All Synced Photographs in Classic, can you spot any photos that have the ... with the sync icon, showing that sync isn't complete? I found 7 images with the 3 dots. When I hovered over them it said something about Smart previews, but the when I rechecked that was gone from each of the images. That seems strange to me, because these were synched a long time ago.
5. As you noted in your thread on the Adobe forum, I think you're right about the mystery 32 being those in Classic, which makes me wonder why they're not uploading. That makes me think some of the photos in your catalog might be marked as missing, so Library menu > Find All Missing Photos might help identify which ones. I checked Find All Missing Photos and none are missing ( I do this regularly also).

Perhaps a need a Sync exorcism??? :)

Would it be helpful if I un-synced my synced coollections and waited for them to be unsynched and see what happens? I automatically sync images captured in the Lightroom App camera on my Android smart phone, so after unsyncing collections the only synced images should be from my phone.

Thanks again for you assistance.
Alan Hunt

Alan, my apologies; my email forwarding got muddled, so I've only just seen your reply.

I hate to say it, but we might be reaching the nuclear stage on this one. Unsyncing the synced collections is as likely to cause portfolio issues as a full cloud deletion, but I haven't done much testing on the interaction with portfolio, so I could do that over the weekend if you want a better idea of what the impact would be on portfolio.

From my own testing Portfolio seems very immune to changes made to to the sync status of albums shared from Lightroom. I setup a test album in LrD and added it to Portfolio (from the Portfolio edit mode). Once the contents were safely in Portfolio I then deleted the album in LrD (i.e. simulating the effect of unsyncing a synced collection from LrC). As I expected, that has no effect on Portfolio at all, AFAICT Portfolio does not interact with Lightroom unless prompted to do so by the user.

But even when prompted, Portfolio remains pretty bullet-proof. After I deleted the album in LrD I then used the Pages panel in the Portfolio edit mode, selected the now-deleted-from-Cloud album and used the "Reset from Lightroom" option, expecting to see the grid of thumbnails to be cleared with some suitable message. Not so, however.....Portfolio simply told me that the album had been successfully reset, but the contents in Portfolio remained unchanged. Back in LrD I created a new album, with different contents, but with the same name as the initial test album....then back in Portfolio I again "Reset from Lightroom", but once again Portfolio said the reset was successful, but the grid thumbnails remained the same as per the initial album contents.

Only after deleting the album from the Portfolio edit mode, then re-adding it again from Lightroom, did the latest album content arrive in Portfolio.

That looks like a bug in the "Reset from Lightroom" process in Portfolio, but even without that there should be no impact on Portfolio from unsyncing collections in LrC.

Alan, my apologies; my email forwarding got muddled, so I've only just seen your reply.

I hate to say it, but we might be reaching the nuclear stage on this one. Unsyncing the synced collections is as likely to cause portfolio issues as a full cloud deletion, but I haven't done much testing on the interaction with portfolio, so I could do that over the weekend if you want a better idea of what the impact would be on portfolio.
Thanks for looking into it Victoria. No need for you to do testing over the weekend, but I certainly appreciate the offer. I have done a little testing with Portfolio with results similar to Jim's below. It may be early next week before I can devote some time to this but I will post what I find here.
Thanks!
Alan

From my own testing Portfolio seems very immune to changes made to to the sync status of albums shared from Lightroom. I setup a test album in LrD and added it to Portfolio (from the Portfolio edit mode). Once the contents were safely in Portfolio I then deleted the album in LrD (i.e. simulating the effect of unsyncing a synced collection from LrC). As I expected, that has no effect on Portfolio at all, AFAICT Portfolio does not interact with Lightroom unless prompted to do so by the user.

But even when prompted, Portfolio remains pretty bullet-proof. After I deleted the album in LrD I then used the Pages panel in the Portfolio edit mode, selected the now-deleted-from-Cloud album and used the "Reset from Lightroom" option, expecting to see the grid of thumbnails to be cleared with some suitable message. Not so, however.....Portfolio simply told me that the album had been successfully reset, but the contents in Portfolio remained unchanged. Back in LrD I created a new album, with different contents, but with the same name as the initial test album....then back in Portfolio I again "Reset from Lightroom", but once again Portfolio said the reset was successful, but the grid thumbnails remained the same as per the initial album contents.

Only after deleting the album from the Portfolio edit mode, then re-adding it again from Lightroom, did the latest album content arrive in Portfolio.

That looks like a bug in the "Reset from Lightroom" process in Portfolio, but even without that there should be no impact on Portfolio from unsyncing collections in LrC.
Thanks, Jim. That's really helpful. I'll let you know what I find.

I have unsynced all of my collections and deleted "All Synced Photographs". That has solved my problem. Unfortunately, I did it late at night and wasn't thinking. I should have unsynced a few at a time, waited, and tried more. Then deleted a few from All Synced Photographs, waited, etc. Then I could have possible identified the culprits. Lesson learned is to only do this kind of thing when I am rested and have plenty of time (and a fresh cup of coffee :) ).

So I don't know what caused the problem, but it is no longer there. Thanks Victoria and Jim. This resource is invaluable, and you are the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back