• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • 25 June 2024 It's Lightroom update time again! See What’s New in Lightroom Classic 13.4, Mobile & Desktop (June 2024)? for the bug fixes and new lens profiles. Warning... this is a minor dot release and does NOT fix some of the bugs introduced in 13.3, so if you reverted to 13.2 due to bugs (e.g. sync issues), we'd suggest you stay there for now.

LRC loading extremely slow

edward6421

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 11
Hi all. When I click LRC it now takes between 5 and 10 minutes to load (Windows pc). Once loaded LRC is fine and I can edit etc.

I ran Norton antivirus clean-up on my C: drive yesterday, and assume it removed a critical file that impacts the time that LRC loads. I restored a catalogue backup of LRC, disabled all plug-ins, uninstalled LRC and re-installed but it still takes forever to load. I have enough RAM and Disk space on my PC and external drive (where images are kept), because I was running /loading) LRC with no issues yesterday prior to Norton clean-up. So I suspect it's not an Adobe LRC issue (?).

Anyone have ideas what is the issue with LRC taking about 10 minutes to launch? (LRC v 13.3.1 RAW 16.3.1)

How long does it take to open a new empty catalog?

Reinstalling LrC after the Norton should have eliminated any issues that Norton might have caused.
Is Norton running in the background trying to check LrC files in real time and not releasing them promptly for LrC?

Try turning Norton off and rebooting to see if that makes a difference?

Thank you for your suggestions Clee. Turning Norton off did not resolve my issue. Forgive my ignorance, but how do I open a new empty catolog?

Forgive my ignorance, but how do I open a new empty catolog?
In Lightroom, frome the Menu {File}{New Catalog...}. Save the catalog and exit LrC to start the process with the new catalog. This will help decide if it is the Lightroom App or the old master catalog.

Thanks Clee. I created an empty catalog, Exited LRC and opened the new catolog, but it is still as slow launching.
That would rule out your catalog file. And you say that you uninstalled and reinstalled the LrC app and with Norton off, there is no change. You also say you heve enough RAM and Disk space. What is "enough"?

I have only one other suggestion: Reset your Preferences file. https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html

If that does not help, then I'd guess that Norton removed some critical Windows System file ( A DLL perhaps) . As a Mac User I have no idea how you might determine what Norton has done. As a Mac User I have no need for Norton and there are enough OS differences that make my 15 y.o windows skills obsolete.

Back