• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • It's Lightroom update time again! There's new Presets in all versions, Super Resolution on the desktop, new Sharing options and more. See this blog post for Lightroom Classic and this blog post for the Lightroom Cloud Ecosystem changes.

LRC imports both the original & edited version of each image from iPhone

rick_7

Lightroom Version
Lightroom Classic 9.3
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
Not sure whether this is a Lightroom thing or an iPhone thing, but its annoying! When I hook my iPhone 12 Max up to my iMac and select import, then it shows up all the images on the camera roll, but it includes all the originals as well as the edited images, so I have to deselect all the originals one by one.

For example if I took a photo on the iPhone, then edited it by rotating it 90º, I can only see the edited version on the iPhone , but on LR in the import window I will see the original as well as the edited, so I see IMG_0012.JPG & IMG_E0012.JPG. Deselecting all the originals I dont want to import is a PITA and I suspect there is an easy way to prevent this but I am yet to discover it!

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Don’t edit the images on the iPhone (in Apple Photos). Do it after you have imported them in Lightroom.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
I believe the iPhone12 is producing a RAW type image called ProRAW and then as you manipulate the image in the Photo app, the derivative JPEG is generated. This is not unlike a prosumer camera that produces an unprocessed RAW image and a processed JPEG image. The Image that you want to preserve is the unedited RAW type image. It is the one that gives you the most post processing flexibility. If you import the ProRAW file into the Apple photo app on the iMac, you have the ability to reach back to the original unedited photo. Lightroom will import the ProRAW file as a DNG and also the phone processed file as a JPEG. Because Lightroom does not understand the processing steps in the ProRAW file it can not recreate this post processing , hence the JPEG.

If you want the most flexibility in your images, you will want to import the ProRAW DNG and forget about the Phone generated JPEG.

rick_7

I believe the iPhone12 is producing a RAW type image called ProRAW and then as you manipulate the image in the Photo app, the derivative JPEG is generated. This is not unlike a prosumer camera that produces an unprocessed RAW image and a processed JPEG image. The Image that you want to preserve is the unedited RAW type image. It is the one that gives you the most post processing flexibility. If you import the ProRAW file into the Apple photo app on the iMac, you have the ability to reach back to the original unedited photo. Lightroom will import the ProRAW file as a DNG and also the phone processed file as a JPEG. Because Lightroom does not understand the processing steps in the ProRAW file it can not recreate this post processing , hence the JPEG.

If you want the most flexibility in your images, you will want to import the ProRAW DNG and forget about the Phone generated JPEG.
Thanks also! Sadly that is no help either, especially as I have to individually deselect all the images I dont want to import - in my case its the ProRAW DNG I want to deselect, I dont use Lightroom to do further editing, I just want Lightroom to only show and import the iPhone generated JPEG.

Maybe Lightroom is just not suitable to use an image catalogue app for the iPhone, it my be better to using the Photos app, although the tradeoff is the opaque filing system.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Thanks, but thats not practical, I edit in the iPhone immediately often, to post to Twitter or share via imessage etc. I only import once a month or so.
Well, as an alternative you could use the LrMobile app on your iPhone (that you're paying for as part of your subscription). Using that (you can still use the iPhone camera if you wish, though I prefer the LrMobile camera), you can auto-import the DNG into LrMobile, then edit and share to wherever....and the images (with edits) will also upload to the Adobe cloud. If you set things up correctly in Classic as well, whenever you start LrC on your desktop any new captures taken on the iPhone will automatically download to into Classic, stored on the local drive of your choosing (thus no need to directly import from the iPhone). Once they've landed in Classic you can then delete them from the cloud if you don't want to go beyond the 20GB cloud storage allowance (and optionally resync them back to the cloud from Classic, which uploads them in smart preview format (2560px on the long edge)). The smart previews do not count towards your storage limit, many users have their entire catalog synced to the cloud as smart previews, so they are able to have that catalog stored on all of their mobile devices if they wish, for permanent on-the-go access to their entire or selected photography collection.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
- in my case its the ProRAW DNG I want to deselect, I dont use Lightroom to do further editing,.

At some point you will regret throwing away the ProRAW DNG. My advice is to import everything. Use the files that you want and save what you don’t need now for later. JPEGs are lossy 8 bit color images and severely limited for additional reprocessing. The ProRAW DNGs are lossless and will let you create 16 bit lossless derivative TIFFs or 8 bit color Lossy JPEG derivatives. Once you work with a lossy JPEG, you lose irretrievably image data and are forever limited to 8 bit color processing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk