• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

LrC import from iPhone 14 Pro Max ProRAW suddenly turns very dark

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharleyCross

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
Hi, gang--

I got a new iPhone 14 Pro Max a couple weeks ago. One thing I was excited about compared to my old iPhone was its ability to shoot RAW, giving me so much more room to play in Lightroom. I just imported my first batch of photos today, using the same procedure I've used for years on several phones (as well as from big cameras). And something is very wrong.

Here's how it goes. The phone is plugged into my Mac via USB. In LrC I click Import, and select the phone as the source. All the little thumbnails appear showing what's on the phone, and they look just fine. I select the ones I want to import and click Import, and sit back and watch. LrC switches itself to the Previous Import screen, and thumbnails of my images start arriving. At first they look fine. Then a few seconds later they turn very dark, as though underexposed by a few stops. This is not how they look on the phone.

Since the iPhone images are already DNG, I at first imported with just Copy selected. But after this weirdness, I also tried Copy as DNG. No difference.

Now here's what I noticed in the Develop module. These very dark images in the Profile line say "Apple Embedded Color Profile," whatever exactly that means. There's a little drop-down there. In it I can select "Apple ProRaw" and the photo suddenly looks normal.

What the heck? Im not sure whether Apple is doing something wrong, Adobe is doing something wrong or I am doing something wrong. I import RAW from my Nikons all the time, no sweat.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Solution
Are you really using LrC 11.4.1? The iPhone 14 isn't supported by that version, and updates to provide full support (thereby fixing this under-exposure issue) were only recently made available. So if you are still using 11.4.1 you might want to think about updating LrC to the latest version.
Create a preset that sets the color profile to ‘Apple ProRaw’. Either use that as import preset or use it as camera default for the iPhone. That should solve the problem.

Are you really using LrC 11.4.1? The iPhone 14 isn't supported by that version, and updates to provide full support (thereby fixing this under-exposure issue) were only recently made available. So if you are still using 11.4.1 you might want to think about updating LrC to the latest version.

Solution
I am indeed! This is a pretty new computer (a few months); I didn't realize my LrC was so out of date! I will absolutely give this a go, and report back. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back