• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

LRC - how to be sure when deleting files they are gone off SSD and MBP

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephenkeep

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
LRC 11.3.1
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
As I try to continuously delete unwanted files from my LRC catalogue and clear space off my external SSD that holds my catalogue and files, I want to be sure that I am actually "fully deleting them" from my external SSD and MBP . My process is to flag images as "rejected" as I review them in LRC, hit command delete, select "delete from disk" (and not just "remove from Lightroom",,,,the pop up says " "delete from disk" to also move the selected photos on your computer to the Finders trash."

So this point I expect to see these files in my MBP trash bin...but do not....where did they go...possibly directly deleted ? They have been removed from my external images file folder being sourced by LRC catalogue.....but want to make sure they are gone everywhere on my MBP plus external SSD?

Thanks for any insights

MBP, with image files and catalogue on external SSD

When LrC executes the Delete from Disk command, MacOS treats this in one of two ways. If the files being deleted are few and will fit in the trash bin, the MacOS puts them there . If the MacOS delete command results in a large number of files or the files reside on an external volume that might not support the Trash Bin, the files are deleted immediately. By a “large number of files”, I mean a quantity larger than the free space available for Working storage and the Trash Bin folder.

If you delete files in a certain folder in LrC, you can use finder to inspect that folder to satisfy yourself that they are gone. If they end up in the Trash Bin, the space consumed is managed by MacOS and will never show in any other place than the Freespace on the volume containing the TrashBin.

When LrC executes the Delete from Disk command, MacOS treats this in one of two ways. If the files being deleted are few and will fit in the trash bin, the MacOS puts them there . If the MacOS delete command results in a large number of files or the files reside on an external volume that might not support the Trash Bin, the files are deleted immediately. By a “large number of files”, I mean a quantity larger than the free space available for Working storage and the Trash Bin folder.

If you delete files in a certain folder in LrC, you can use finder to inspect that folder to satisfy yourself that they are gone. If they end up in the Trash Bin, the space consumed is managed by MacOS and will never show in any other place than the Freespace on the volume containing the TrashBin.
Thanks for the detail So, given my images all reside on an external SSD, when I delete from LRC, they most likely are deleted immediately and dont pass thru the MAC trash bin? That helps clarify as I just want to be clear that they aren't "clogging up" my storage space somewhere between the SSD and the MBP Thank you !

Thanks for the detail So, given my images all reside on an external SSD, when I delete from LRC, they most likely are deleted immediately and dont pass thru the MAC trash bin? That helps clarify as I just want to be clear that they aren't "clogging up" my storage space somewhere between the SSD and the MBP Thank you !

“Deleted immediately” only can apply when the SSD has been formatted using a filesystem that does not support the Apple Trash Bin. APFS and HFS+ are Apple filesystems that do support the Apple Trash Bin. ExFAT doe not support the Trash Bin and these files will be deleted immediately. The Trash Bin does not “clog up storage” but it may use up all the free space on that volume.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So I started another thread on this yesterday as Ive learned that while I continue to delete files from LRC (sitting on an external SSD) they are NOT passing thru the trash bin and as much as the files no loner appear in the external drive folder after deleting - the available space displayed for the external SSD continues to shrink and not reflect my deleting

Also - as you can see in the attached - it is formatted APFS but LRC doesn't send them to the trash bin????? confused and appreciate any help thx

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 7.01.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 7.01.42 PM.png
    645 KB · Views: 63
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back