• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Library module LrC and Video files from my Nikon DSLRs and Nikon Z7

Status
Not open for further replies.

pathy

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
LrC 10.3 Release, Camera Raw 13.3
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
Hello, I am a newbie to this Forum and haven't posted anything before. My apologies if this is not the right place.

I have been struggling with the following issues for some years now and have simply worked around it. Now I'd like some help to get to the bottom of it.
This problem is not confined to my present Nikon Z7 camera nor to the specific Lightroom version.

1. When I import videos taken on my Nikon Z7 into Lightroom Classic, it always says "Unknown Camera" and "Unknown lens". Raw stills take from the same camera show the correct Camera Name and Lens.

2. The "Create Time" on ALL MOV files shows UTC unlike the stills which show the correct camera time.

The attached screenshot shows one MOV file taken on my Z7 that I just imported into LrC. The real Capture Time was 12;33:37 PM (PDT).

Can anyone please solve this nagging problem I have been having?
Thanks,

Pathy

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-22 at 1.10.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-22 at 1.10.13 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 87
When I import videos taken on my Nikon Z7 into Lightroom Classic, it always says "Unknown Camera" and "Unknown lens". Raw stills take from the same camera show the correct Camera Name and Lens.
Manufacturers don't always interpret the standards in the same way, and LR does a poor job (compared to video-specific apps) of interpreting video metadata. You could add your constructive opinion and details of your cameras to this bug report:
https://feedback.photoshop.com/conv...data-for-video-files/5f5f462c4b561a3d4277eae8

But I think it's unlikely Adobe will invest any more effort in video, especially video metadata. LR's support for video has always been minimal and incomplete since video was introduced in LR 4.

2. The "Create Time" on ALL MOV files shows UTC unlike the stills which show the correct camera time.

This is a common problem with many newer cameras. It's caused by a poorly written Apple Quicktime standard that doesn't allow time zones to be recorded in videos:
https://feedback.photoshop.com/conv...3d425bf7b3?commentId=5f5f48514b561a3d42184616

While LR could handle more newer cameras than just iPhones, as mentioned above, Adobe is putting almost no effort into improving LR's handling of videos.

Manufacturers don't always interpret the standards in the same way, and LR does a poor job (compared to video-specific apps) of interpreting video metadata. You could add your constructive opinion and details of your cameras to this bug report:
https://feedback.photoshop.com/conv...data-for-video-files/5f5f462c4b561a3d4277eae8

But I think it's unlikely Adobe will invest any more effort in video, especially video metadata. LR's support for video has always been minimal and incomplete since video was introduced in LR 4.
John,
Thank you for your reply. I forgot I had complained about this a year ago. The link that you sent me was in fact the bug report that I had filed last year.

Too bad. I'll just live with it. What a shame.
Pathy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back