• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • It's Lightroom update time again. Just some small tweaks as well as cameras/lenses and bugs! See this blog post for Lightroom Classic and this blog post for the Lightroom Cloud Ecosystem changes.

LrC 11 additional file in the Lightroom folder next to Catalog file and also in the folder created on a Backup of the Catalog.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version
LrC 11.1
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
I believe this file has something to do with the new masking feature introduced in LrC version 11.
If "automatically write to xmp" is selected " is the info also written to xmp sidecars and to DNG files?
See the relative screen captures.
Screenshot 2022-01-22 at 10.14.14 AM.png

Screenshot 2022-01-22 at 10.18.57 AM.png

Solution
So making backups of the Backup created when exiting LrC is the best way to ensure you have a full and optimized copy of the Catalog Data needed to restore a corrupt Catalog.
I'm not sure why you should make backups of that backup in order to do that. If you mean that Lightroom creates the backup inside its own catalog folder, which could mean you lose your backups too if your disk crashes, then be aware that you can change the location of the catalog backups in the dialog that asks you if you want to make a backup.
1 2022-01-23 15-43-56.jpg
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Yes.
Note the the LR backup at exit (when invoked) already does that. The backup zip file contains both, the .lrcta and the .lrcat-data.
Thanks Philippe, I am aware of that as indicated in my original post.
So making backups of the Backup created when exiting LrC is the best way to ensure you have a full and optimized copy of the Catalog Data needed to restore a corrupt Catalog.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
I'm not sure why you should make backups of that backup in order to do that. If you mean that Lightroom creates the backup inside its own catalog folder, which could mean you lose your backups too if your disk crashes, then be aware that you can change the location of the catalog backups in the dialog that asks you if you want to make a backup.
1 2022-01-23 15-43-56.jpg

Solution
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
View attachment 18008
Yes, I understand that and my backup already sent to a alternate location than the Catalog. That folder is regularly copied to an external disk.