• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

LrC 10.1 Mac: navigating in film strip not sync'ed to grid (and vice versa)

Selwin

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version
10.1 Mac
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
Hey all,
I haven't done LR work for a couple of months, but I did install the updates from time to time. I'm on 10.1 now (Mac) and today I wanted to do some library work. I encountered a weird issue while browsing some folders.

The issue:
Normally, when I select a photo in the film strip, that same photo is selected in the grid. But now it doesn't do that.
When I click on a photo in the film strip, the edges light up bright white. But in the grid the selected photo does not match and it stays the same. And vice versa.
When I hit D to develop an image, LR picks the selected image in the film strip to display in Develop mode
When I navigate using the arrow keys, the film strip is shifting horizontally, but the selected photo does not change, Meanwhile, the selected photo in the grid does change
I tried a different catalog but it has the same issue.

Any thoughts?

210119_LR_film_strip_issue.jpg

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Your screenshot shows that LR thinks all those photos are "missing" -- they're not at the location recorded in the catalog. You should address that issue first -- see this article:
Lightroom thinks my photos are missing—how do I fix it? | The Lightroom Queen

If after resolving that you're still experiencing the problem with the filmstrip not matching the grid view, then try resetting LR's preferences:
How do I reset Lightroom's Preferences? | The Lightroom Queen

LR sometimes soils its preferences file, and resetting it can fix all sorts of strange behavior.

Selwin

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Hi John,

Thanks a bunch you for your insights. Resetting the prefs file did the trick. I did use that method before for another issue, but I didn't know it could also solve this type of malfunction.

About the "missing photos": in this case it was simply because those photos weren't online, which is "as designed" really. Also, the weird navigating issue persisted after I had reconnected the master drive.

I recently moved 100GB of photos away from my internal SSD to accomodate a larger RAW cache size (50 instead of 5 GB) and I'm now building smart previews for all the photos that still need PP work. On my old lady (2013 MacBook Pro w/ 512GB / 16GB) this does have a noticeable performance gain.