LRB Portfolio: Website in a Gallery for Lightroom 2 & 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean McCormack

Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
lrbp.jpg

Since I introduced the plugin HSWeb, I've been thinking about a far more customisable and cleaner version of a 'Website in a Gallery' Web plugin. I've literally spent almost all my spare time rewriting this from the ground up since then. In fact all the code has been completely replaced the with new Lightroom 2.' SDK code and so is brand new. Even the Contact Form has been updated to give much prettier returns.

lrb_sm.jpg

lrb_sm2.jpg

LRB Porfolio features.

• [li]A true Website in a Gallery[/li]
    [li]Lightroom 2 compatible-Not for Lightroom 1[/li]
    [li]Wesbite featuring a Home, About and Contact pages, along with up to 6 galleries or external links.[/li]
    [li]A PHP contact form to make you contactable, but keeping your email address hidden.[/li]
    [li]For those without PHP, a series of contact details that you can pick and choose between, including Contact Name, Email, email link, phone number, address etc.[/li]
    [li]Choose the images for the Home, About and Contact page yourself.[/li]
    [li]Colour controls for each section of the page.[/li]
    [li]Simple clean look, with scrolling galleries, a popular look currently.[/li]
    [li]All HTML and CSS, so compatible for a wide range of users.[/li]
    [li]Full User Guide (that took a bit of time!)[/li]
    [li]Controls for menu and Identity Plate placement (left, centre, right)[/li]
    [li]Full Lightroom 2 SDK code, including new Output Sharpening code.[/li]
    [li]Requires only minor HTML for line breaks, otherwise code free for the User[/li]
    [li]Requires no HTML editor[/li]
    [li]Optional Right Click and Drag Disable[/li]
There's a wealth of stuff changed from the original proof of concept code I had with HS Web. Again, as with LRB Graduated Filters, I've put a lot of work into this and approached it as a commercial venture. I am aware though that the appeal of such a gallery is relatively limited. Most people already have a website, so something that creates an entire site is less of an appeal that a simple gallery to show off. However for those looking for something quick and easy, this gallery allows you create a whole website with a little advance preparation and some text entry. To add your email address, you edit one file in an text editor once, and then export and upload.

The cost of the plugin? €1' (about $15). VAT chargable in the EU. Updates will be free to current users. (please note this is the old introductory price from 2''8-price is now €15)

To see a sample gallery, download the User Guide to review the controls, or make a purchase, please go to http://lrbportfolio.com
Support questions can be added to this thread.

Last edited:
LRB Portfolio: Website in a Gallery for Lightroom 2

domhnall;23'67 said:

Domhnall,
Not everything...
There are three pictures missing in the end of the horizontal scroll in "portraits"...
Sorry...I could not resist!
:)

Domhnall. The bin folder is not there on the root directory, which is why there are no images showing.

http://www.tayforthphotos.co.uk/landscape/bin/images/photos/_DSC1299.jpg shows the photo but
http://www.tayforthphotos.co.uk/bin/images/photos/_DSC1299.jpg
does not, because the folder 'bin' is not there.

Also a folder called resources should be created. It contains code needed for fixing PNG issues in IE and live update.

Instead of getting the files online using Upload, use Export, then upload with FTP. It's far more reliable and has better error correction and notification than Lightroom. While version 2 of Lightroom has a far more robust FTP routine than V1, it's still weak compared to a dedicated program.

Hi Domhnall, You should increase the photo width setting in the output settings panel. This won't affect most images, but will make the ones that need it a bit longer, bringing up the height to match the others. The length is constraining the height so it needs to be longer to get the height on those ones.

Also I don't think you have PHP on your server. Or maybe it doesn't have mail() included or safe_mode off. I'll be including a test php file in the next version.

Domhnall,
Not everything...
There are three pictures missing in the end of the horizontal scroll in "portraits"...
Sorry...I could not resist!
:)

aha but that is deliberate, I did not have the exact same number of images for each gallery so I used some blanks to pad out the portrait gallery to have the same number of images as the rest :)

Domhnall. The bin folder is not there on the root directory, which is why there are no images showing.

http://www.tayforthphotos.co.uk/landscape/bin/images/photos/_DSC1299.jpg shows the photo but
http://www.tayforthphotos.co.uk/bin/images/photos/_DSC1299.jpg
does not, because the folder 'bin' is not there.

Also a folder called resources should be created. It contains code needed for fixing PNG issues in IE and live update.

Instead of getting the files online using Upload, use Export, then upload with FTP. It's far more reliable and has better error correction and notification than Lightroom. While version 2 of Lightroom has a far more robust FTP routine than V1, it's still weak compared to a dedicated program.

Thanks Sean, I used FTP to upload all the folders and files that LR2 created. The bin file is in the root directory. My first effort ftpd all the files into the root directory - no images. I then repeated the process but uploaded them into the landscape folder - success! Do I have to create the resources folder manually? IF so what should I put into it?

I'll make the image size changes as you suggest and I'll check out the php point. I did a workaround for the folder issue meantime by putting an auto forward script on the front page so www.tayforthphotos.co.uk now forwards you on.

It looks really good so thanks again for a great product!

Mar sin leibh

Domhnall

Hello Sean,

Is there any restriction on width of photos? How, for example, does LRB Portfolio cope with panoramas? I see from previous that height is relative to width when the latter is too short. What if the width ratio is out of the ordinary? If, say, one included a 5x1 ratio panorama; does the gallery just expand? If not, what might the width limit be for either individual images, or the total steam? Thanks for your time. This is not just an idle query.

Regards, Rockshead

Domhnall, I suspect that your host may be expecting something else other than photos in a folder called bin in the root directory and has it set to be invisible to viewers..

Rockshead, there is a max width of 15'', but this was an arbitrary figure.
a 5X1 pano would then max out at a height of 3''px (15''/5). I can make the max width higher in the next release. In fact if I'd seen it prior to todays release I'd have entered it!

Sean:

Thanks for that info on file width size. I have now bought the download, and there are one or two panoramas that are being squeezed. If you do include a wider spec. in the next release that would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Already increased to 25'' for 1.'3. If no more feature requests are forthcoming or bug reports, I'll release it shortly.

(besides the music player that is! I'm still working on that)

Problems with mail form

Sean,

Nice work, I have enjoyed working with LRB and it keeps getting better... I have created a web gallery with several galleries, I'm happy with everything but the mail form will not work, I've tested with the excellent php test and have found that safe mode is off, php is enabled but whatever I do I get the message can't send mail to.... I wonder if there is an easy fix for this, I like the idea of having the form on my site and can't see why it's not working. I have changed the file within the engine to include my email address.

I am on LR2.1 I have a macbook Pro 2.2 and am using dreamweaver CS3 to FTP the site up onto an Easyspace.com web address.

Thanks in advance,

Martin.
Oh and the site is at http://www.martingardner.com

Hi Martin,
There are a combination of settings besides safe mode that break it. I wish it were plug and play, but it is really so dependent on your server. That's pretty much why there's a whole non form section available.

It's possible that using the Reply-to might break it, because the reply to would be different than the sending email (which is the server, e.g. [email protected])
Some servers don't allow this..

Thanks Sean,
I'll keep fiddling...
One feature request, is it possible to have one of the external links open in a blank window instead of the parent? I've done it before upping the pages but I keep forgetting, maybe it could be a tickable option for one of the ext links in the menu?

Once again Thanks for creating a great tool-great value for money and a joy to use.

Mg

Sizing on a Mac

Just a quick note, I committed a really stupid error when I set up my gallery... I made it on my Macbook Pro with 144' by 9'' resolution, sized it so it looked fantastic, loved it... told everyone to have a look and got on with other things.
Last night (a week after), I was at my Girlfriends house and had a look at it on her Vaio at 1'24 by whatever and got the shock of my life. It looked terrible, I have resized it now but the combination of the wide screen and the higher resolution was giving me so much more screen real estate that on the Vaio you couldn't see the navigation and the images were bigger than the available screen.

I don't suppose anyone else would be daft enough to do that but I thought it might be worth a mention.

Mg

I can guarantee that you're not the only one. I sized the width to fit 2 image @1'24 for wide image!

PS you've got your wish for 1.'3.

Now you'll have to wait for the User Guide update, which is the hard part!

Thanks

Thanks Sean,

I was going in and changing that link manually and then tweaking something tiny and having to do it again, for me that is a great enhancement and I appreciate your efforts, I think I've got my ten pounds worth and then some.

Best,

Martin.

LRB Portfolio 1.03 bug and feature request

Well done Sean.
It's a tidy design, well implemented.

However, after loading up the collection and setting up a trial website with three galleries, I have had problems viewing all the galleries within Lightroom.

It varies, but at the moment I can only view one of the three galleries when previewing in Lightroom. The other two insist on only showing the Home page.

I have checked that the links are resolved properly in the "Included Pages" and "Menu Names and Links".

Also, when I click-hold-&-drag the gallery name in Lightroom the link is revealed as: <galleryname>agwpg//localhost:1'29/Gallery3.html

When I export, it usually displays fine. On one attempt a gallery's content couldn't be found (by the browser) but I fixed that be re-labelling the wrongly named gallery.html to the correct target name.

I'm running Lightroom 2 on a Macbook 2.2 with OSX 1'.5.5.

Anyone else seeing this behaviour and any suggested fixes?

Also, while I have your attention… Any chance of having captions and a descriptive title display with each gallery?

I'm a mostly editorial shooter so having some contextual descriptions with my pictures would be nice.

Cheers,
Adrian

Well done Sean.
It's a tidy design, well implemented.

However, after loading up the collection and setting up a trial website with three galleries, I have had problems viewing all the galleries within Lightroom.

It varies, but at the moment I can only view one of the three galleries when previewing in Lightroom. The other two insist on only showing the Home page.

I have checked that the links are resolved properly in the "Included Pages" and "Menu Names and Links".

Also, when I click-hold-&-drag the gallery name in Lightroom the link is revealed as: <galleryname>agwpg//localhost:1'29/Gallery3.html

When I export, it usually displays fine. On one attempt a gallery's content couldn't be found (by the browser) but I fixed that be re-labelling the wrongly named gallery.html to the correct target name.

I'm running Lightroom 2 on a Macbook 2.2 with OSX 1'.5.5.

Anyone else seeing this behaviour and any suggested fixes?

Also, while I have your attention&#823'; Any chance of having captions and a descriptive title display with each gallery?

I'm a mostly editorial shooter so having some contextual descriptions with my pictures would be nice.

Cheers,
Adrian

Welcome Adrian, if you take a moment to fill in your signature in the "userCP" - top left of page, you won't need to tell us your OS etc all the time. Thanks !!
Which part of the country are you in ??

Cheers Geoff,
First post so hadn't quite figured out where all the settings are. Thanks for that.
And as the signature should now read, I'm based in Auckland.
My current website is looking a bit feeble due to iWeb's ugly photo galleries.
With a bit of luck I ought to have a tidy portfolio website up later this week thanks to Sean's handiwork.
However, I'll probably replace and update my iWeb site with SlideshowPro galleries via embedded html within the iWeb pages and use the LRBportfolio website as an extended standalone gallery.
If and/or when LRB gets a bit more sophisticated, then I will probably ditch the iWeb site.

Adrian, I don't want to answer for Sean, but I know folks have reported problems with LR's site preview function, with sites that worked fine once uploaded.

Thanks Brad,
I tried to search for it but failed.
After wading through several pages late at night I gave up and posted anyway.
The bug is not a biggie as the galleries export fine which is better than a lot of more sophisticated web authoring software out there.

Awesome thanks! Is there a line of code I can replace until the update or is the update planned for sometime soon?

Thanks!
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back