Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom 6
Operating System
  1. Windows 7
Hi,
I just bought an LR6 dvd to replace my LR4.4 software. I have about 20,000 photos on my old software. How do I transfer my photos to the new software?
Thank you.

You don’t transfer photos. Photos are not ‘in’ Lightroom. Start Lightroom 6 and it should open your old catalog and ask you if you want to upgrade it. Say yes and that’s it.

You don’t transfer photos. Photos are not ‘in’ Lightroom. Start Lightroom 6 and it should open your old catalog and ask you if you want to upgrade it. Say yes and that’s it.

All went well. Thank you.

sie, you should probably update your version of LR to 6.14, as it's easy to do, free and it's as far as the standalone version of LR is going to go.

I've followed a similar route to you - just with an additional step. LR4.4 -> LR5.7 -> LR6.14, so that all of my cameras & lenses are supported.

If you have any follow up questions, just ask here as nobody bites and there is an absolute wealth of knowledge.

sie, you should probably update your version of LR to 6.14, as it's easy to do, free and it's as far as the standalone version of LR is going to go.

I've followed a similar route to you - just with an additional step. LR4.4 -> LR5.7 -> LR6.14, so that all of my cameras & lenses are supported.

If you have any follow up questions, just ask here as nobody bites and there is an absolute wealth of knowledge.

Thank you.

Bear in mind that both LR4.4 and the 4.4 catalog are still on your system after the upgrade. To prevent future confusion you should probably make sure everything is working with 6.x, back up just to be safe, and then de-install the old program and delete the old catalog (and previews if it left it behind).

Be very sure of course you find the new 6.x catalog, it will usually be the same name as the old catalog but with -2 on the end.

Leaving the old behind, besides taking up space, has led some people to open it again (which converts it again) and end up with multiple converted catalogs that are all slightly different from being done at different times - can be a real mess.

Bear in mind that both LR4.4 and the 4.4 catalog are still on your system after the upgrade. To prevent future confusion you should probably make sure everything is working with 6.x, back up just to be safe, and then de-install the old program and delete the old catalog (and previews if it left it behind).

Be very sure of course you find the new 6.x catalog, it will usually be the same name as the old catalog but with -2 on the end.

Leaving the old behind, besides taking up space, has led some people to open it again (which converts it again) and end up with multiple converted catalogs that are all slightly different from being done at different times - can be a real mess.

Your advice is very good and this is what I planned to do all along precisely to avoid the mess you mentioned. I've been very busy and having gotten around to doing this yet but it will be done.

Thank you.

Just to add the catalogue is a record of your adjustments. The actual photos are not effected. You can edit those photos in any other software you like and it won't effect and adjustments you made in LR.

Just to add the catalogue is a record of your adjustments. The actual photos are not effected. You can edit those photos in any other software you like and it won't effect and adjustments you made in LR.
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back