• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

LR6 to Photographic Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

petey

Lightroom Version Number
LR6
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I am about to move from my disc based LR6 to the Adobe Photographic Plan incorporating LR Classic and PS. I am sure others have done this, but can't find any tips, warnings, or advice about this in the forum. Does anyone have any experience (particularly any warnings!) or can you point me to another Forum chat if this has all been covered. Many thanks.

Hi Peter, welcome to the forum!

It's very straightforward. Buy the subscription, install the app, open it. It asks permission to upgrade your catalog format, just like older upgrades (e.g. LR5 > LR6), you say yes, and you're off and running. If you get stuck with anything, feel free to ask.

Hi Peter, welcome to the forum!

It's very straightforward. Buy the subscription, install the app, open it. It asks permission to upgrade your catalog format, just like older upgrades (e.g. LR5 > LR6), you say yes, and you're off and running. If you get stuck with anything, feel free to ask.
Thanks Victoria. I thought I had read some warnings somewhere about losing your old LR catalog and that you need to ensure you did something with this when you switched. It will also be my first foray into PS as well, which will be interesting and fun!

It's always worth backing up to be on the safe side, but the catalog upgrade creates a copy of your current catalog and upgrades the copy, so it's pretty safe.

Just a heads up. Lightroom Classic is the same as LR6 with a bunch of new features. It requires local file storage with an option to sync files to the cloud. If you choose to sync your files they don't go the cloud. It just mirrors them.

Lightroom is a new less robust mobile version. If you use it your files automatically go to the cloud.

If you choose to sync your files they don't go the cloud. It just mirrors them.
Just to be precise, a Smart Preview copy is sent to the cloud, but the original files still need proper backup procedures in place (as they always did in LR6 and before)

Lightroom is a new less robust mobile version. If you use it your files automatically go to the cloud.

To say less robust would be a moot point; it's certainly less feature-rich and aimed at a different requirement (which can be a complementary one)

Thanks for clarifying. I do refer to Smart Preview when chatting about this. Don't know why I didn't this time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back