Lr6 to LR Classic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pat_1

Lightroom Version Number
LR 6.14
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I have LR6 with all photos and catalogues in dropbox. I periodically backup the whole lot to an external drive. I was looking for backup option number three. Lightroom Classic with the 1tb cloud storage option looked like for a little extra I could upgrade LR too.

But I read that one can only backup originals from the cloud and not the edits. Plus I also read that the desktop version of LR has more features than the cloud-based version. Thereby defeating the original objective of getting a source of backup.

Comments?

I have LR6 with all photos and catalogues in dropbox. I periodically backup the whole lot to an external drive. I was looking for backup option number three. Lightroom Classic with the 1tb cloud storage option looked like for a little extra I could upgrade LR too.

But I read that one can only backup originals from the cloud and not the edits. Plus I also read that the desktop version of LR has more features than the cloud-based version. Thereby defeating the original objective of getting a source of backup.

Comments?
Welcome to the forum. LR and LR Classic are aimed at different audiences. If you are coming from LR6, then LR Classic is the "upgrade". LR (aka LRCC or "Cloudy") is designed as a cloud-based program. It give access on a number of devices and hosts your files, but the program does not have the full range of features that Classic offers. There are numerous comparisons of the two, and I would strongly suggest reading up until you know what you are gaining and giving up with each program. There are some strategies where you can use both programs, but you really need to understand what you are doing before attempting this successfully. Here is a great article that might help: Lightroom cloud ecosystem vs. Lightroom Classic - which do I need? | The Lightroom Queen .

Good luck,

--Ken

I was looking for backup option number three. Lightroom Classic with the 1tb cloud storage option looked like for a little extra I could upgrade LR too.
First of all nothing that you are doing now is a True backup. It is simply a file copy. Carbonite has individual plans that will backup all of your critical user data (including LR Catalog and all of your image files). With your existing file copy. you are simply copying and propagating errors to the copies. If you have a file on your disk and it gets corrupted, then the corrupted file gets copied to the other location with your present scheme. If you have a Word document and 6 months later you discover that you made changes and want to recover the original document from 6 months, 6 weeks or 6 days ago, you can do that with your present set up. With a true backup app, you can find that version of the same file on. your system as it was saved 6 months, 6 weeks, 6 days ago or 6 hours ago. Carbonite will do that for you. If you want to use a backup to an external disk, then there are Windows based apps like Apple's TimeMachine that will provide you with the same backup protection as a cloud base service like Carbonite. One that I would recommend is Acronis. I use it to supplement the TimeMachine Backup on my Mac.

Backup apps run in the background constantly and automatically So your backup disk is never more than 30 mins behind the master files. You should plans on total disk failure at some point and have a recovery plan in place for when you primary disk drive fails. The app that I have mentioned will do that. For that extra $10USD/month you can subscribe to a Carbonite backup that will backup not only noir primary disk but an External disk too,

The only drawback for a cloud based backup is the recovery from the cloud can take days or weeks in the cased of a total disk failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back