• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

LR6 to LR Classic with MacOS Monterey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Berry

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
6.x
Lightroom Version Number
LR6
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
Hi,
Forgive me if this question has already been dealt with somewhere (and please point me in the right direction). If not..:
For reasons I won't bore you with, I recently updated my 2016 Macbook Pro from Mojave to Monterey I've been using LR6 (one-off purchase) happily for years, but now it doesn't seem to work at all well in Monterey: all kinds of weird things, including crashing, and also not working as usual with DXO filmpack and Topaz Denoise.
So, I think I'm going to have to subscribe to LR Classic. However, do I understand from other posts on LRQ that if I go straight from LR6 to the current version of LR Classic I'll lose all my folders and collections? If so, I'd welcome some advice. Thanks.

You will not lose anything!
Your Folders, Files, Collections, keywords, -everything, will be preserved.
Lightroom-Classic will 'open' your LR6 Catalog and tell you it needs to be upgraded (to work with new features).
In the upgrade process the Lr6 Catalog will be Copied so you will then have your 'upgraded' catalog working in Classic v11, and your 'old' LR6 catalog (that you can archive, ICE).

Be aware of some points-
Some have commented that the Catalog upgrade process has upgraded the wrong catalog (when several exist!). Keep an 'eye' on the catalog name that upgrades.
Also check your Catalog Settings (or catalog shortcut/dock icons) to be sure that Classic will not be repeatedly opening an 'old' LR6 catalog. This can also lead to confusion.

You will not lose anything!
Your Folders, Files, Collections, keywords, -everything, will be preserved.
Lightroom-Classic will 'open' your LR6 Catalog and tell you it needs to be upgraded (to work with new features).
In the upgrade process the Lr6 Catalog will be Copied so you will then have your 'upgraded' catalog working in Classic v11, and your 'old' LR6 catalog (that you can archive, ICE).

Be aware of some points-
Some have commented that the Catalog upgrade process has upgraded the wrong catalog (when several exist!). Keep an 'eye' on the catalog name that upgrades.
Also check your Catalog Settings (or catalog shortcut/dock icons) to be sure that Classic will not be repeatedly opening an 'old' LR6 catalog. This can also lead to confusion.
Great, many thanks, Rob - that sounds reassuring. I'll give it a go.

I am in the process of doing the exact same thing—upgrading from LR6, probably later this week. I bought a 27" 2019 iMac with the Monterey OS upgrade and am planning to purchase a LRc 11 subscription.

My question is about steps, which may be answered by Adobe in their directions, but I thought that it wouldn't hurt to ask it here as well.

I take it that I open with the LRc 11 system and let it copy the existing catalogs, which right now exist on an external hard drive. If I have two catalogs of files that need to be copied and upgraded, and I think that I may have two, is there a way to upgrade both?

Thanks,
=rdsieber

…If I have two catalogs of files that need to be copied and upgraded, and I think that I may have two, is there a way to upgrade both?

Thanks,
=rdsieber
You get to open only one catalog at a time in Lightroom Classic (or LR6 for that matter) When you open the LR6 catalog file in LrC v11, it will detect that the database structure is out of date, read the old LR6 file and write out the same data in a new LrC v11 structure. It will do this the first time you open the old catalog file. The replacement LrCv11 catalog file will become the new master catalog files for the different catalogs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back