• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • It's Lightroom update time again! Color Grading and improved zoom across the whole Lightroom family, plus graphical watermarks for the cloud-based Lightroom apps, as well as the usual new cameras, lens profiles and bug fixes. See this blog post for Lightroom Classic and this blog post for the Lightroom Cloud Ecosystem changes.

Catalogs LR6 to LR Classic upgrade --CATALOG and SMUGMUG images ?

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x
Lightroom Version
LR6
Operating System
Windows 7
I want to upgrade from LR6 to LR classic. I currently use one very large catalog covering many yrs of imports. I want to form a new much slimmer catalog only covering last 2 yrs and all DNGs and TIFFS and smugmug jpg uploads! I use Smugmug publishing thru LR-the last time I tried this I lost many smugmug images and had to convert back to very large catalog. I am seeing lots of issues with presets not converting over-- I especially don't want to lose my export presets and develop presets--Should I not upgrade? Thanks

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Welcome to the forum.
The issue is not in the upgrade, but is creating a subsidiary catalog.
Upgrade from LR6 to LR Classic. During the upgrade, LR Classic will convert your master catalog to the new database structure. You will still have your old catalog file that will continue to work with an LR6 app. But the new master catalog will contain everything including your SmugMug publish service.
While I will always recommend maintaining one master catalog containing everything, you can split that LR Classic master catalog into the last two years and everything before. The new catalog (using export as a catalog) will contain all of the LR stored metadata for the images that you select for export. IF you maintain two catalog (again not recommended), you will need to remove from the master catalog, the image information for the images that were exported to the new catalog. If there were SmugMug images in the older images, LR will not transfer that Publish Service information to the new catalog of older images.
LR does a great job maintaining 300-500,000 images in a single catalog file. Older images and dormant records for those images do not affect performance when working newer images. The excellent search and filtering tools provided by LR work only with one catalog file at a time. You can not search across multiple catalogs.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Splitting catalogs is almost always a bad idea.

There are no issues per se with Smugmug going from LR6 to Classic, I've got about 50,000 images published (many more in the catalog) and it handled the transition just fine through each recent version.