• Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • You may have noticed this website was offline on Saturday 22nd September. Our web host suffered what is known as "a perfect storm". Everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. As a result of restoring backups, we appear to have lost about 18 hours of posts, but hopefully nothing more. If your post seems to have been affected, please do repost, and we look forward to helping. If you have any questions, you're welcome to use the Contact Webmaster link on the page footer.
  • Lightroom Classic 7.5 and Lightroom CC 1.5 have just gone live, and there's some exciting mobile updates to follow. And the big news... my Lightroom CC - Edit Like a Pro book has just been released too!

LR6 not showing photos in correct folder after upload

Helen B

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
6.x / CC 2015.x
Lightroom Version
Lightroom 6
Operating System
Windows 10
I have been using LR6 for a while and save all my photos in an organised way under the year, then months then date. When I upload LR is saving the photos in the correct place but not showing them in the correct place on the left hand menu. See shot attached where LR has suddenly not put the photos under pictures/year but is instead showing them in separate folders. Checl out where it has started putting August and september folders outwith the 2018 folder. Any help much appreciated as to why this is happening and how I can fix it. Please and thank you

folders .
LR screen shot.PNG

Helen B

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
6.x / CC 2015.x
Ah I have now found out that the pathway has changed from Helen to helen so there is a capitalisation problem. Can someone point me in the direction of some simple instructions to fix this please

JohanElzenga

Lightroom Guru
Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Here's how to fix the problem:

1. Backup your catalog.
2. Create a folder directly on the root of your drive, call it whatever you want, say "Capitals Fix".
3. Right-click on the “helen” folder in the Lightroom Folders Panel and select "Update Folder Location". In the file browser that then opens, browse to and select the "Capitals Fix" folder.
4. Don't be alarmed as the ‘helen’ folder will disappear from the Folders Panel, "Capitals Fix" will appear but all the sub-folders that were listed under ‘helen’ will now have "?" marks.
5. Now right-click on "Capitals Fix" in the Folders Panel, and again choose "Update Folder Location". This time browse to and select the “Helen” folder. You may get a "Merge" dialog box, select "Merge" and everything should resolve itself.

Helen B

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
6.x / CC 2015.x
Thank you but can I clarify. When I create a folder at the root of my drive this will be from within LR and will be on C drive (where my photos are)? sorry but I do struggle with computing and thanks so much for the instructions

Helen B

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
6.x / CC 2015.x
Thank you but can I clarify. When I create a folder at the root of my drive this will be from within LR and will be on C drive (where my photos are)? sorry but I do struggle with computing and thanks so much for the instructions
Thank you very much this is now fixed and I am very pleased. Great site