• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

LR6 is dying on me. Advice needed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BooTheMightyHamster

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 6.0
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
Hi,

Apologies in advance, because I'm sure you good ladies and gents have been asked this a million times before...

I've got a locally installed copy of LR6 on my Macbook, which I've been using for, I don't know... five years maybe? Possibly longer. Since whenever Apple turned Photos into something akin to a toy.

Anyway. I'm just an amateur when it comes to photography. I can go a couple of months without touching a camera, and broadly speaking, I use LR as a photo library, and only do the most basic of editing / developing (though that's something I'd like to change). While on holiday last week, I found that LR6 wouldn't import from my EOS 70D any more. It seems to be a known bug, with a fix apparently 'in the works, but don't hold your breath'.

I've spent a lifetime working in IT, and I understand that software goes out of support - I've had my money's worth out of LR6, and if it's time for a change, then it's time for a change. I've had a look at alternatives, but nothing's leaping out at me, so I keep coming back to LR. Trouble is, given how little I use it, I'm struggling to justifying paying an ongoing monthly fee, particularly as my LR folder is 116GB, so I'd need to be paying for (presumably) 1TB storage, which is about £20/month.

It seems that Adobe offer a variety of packages, so can someone just check my understanding please?

If I go for the minimum package of LR and PS with 20GB of cloud storage for £9.98/month, will that allow me to carry on using LR Classic, on my Macbook, and most importantly, store all my files locally so that I'm not impacted by the 20GB storage limit? I'm not interested in storing my images in the cloud, and I'm only ever going to use my laptop for LR. Any photos I take on my phone (which aren't many) would be transferred to my Macbook, so I don't need multi-device support.

Sorry to have waffled on, but just want to be sure I'm making the right choice before I commit.

Thanks very much!

Classic stores all your photos locally. The 20 GB limit doesn't apply.

… I found that LR6 wouldn't import from my EOS 70D any more. It seems to be a known bug, with a fix apparently 'in the works, but don't hold your breath'.

I've spent a lifetime working in IT, and I understand that software goes out of support - I've had my money's worth out of LR6, and if it's time for a change, then it's time for a change. I've had a look at alternatives, but nothing's leaping out at me, so I keep coming back to LR. Trouble is, given how little I use it, I'm struggling to justifying paying an ongoing monthly fee, particularly as my LR folder is 116GB, so I'd need to be paying for (presumably) 1TB storage, which is about £20/month.

It seems that Adobe offer a variety of packages, so can someone just check my understanding please?

If I go for the minimum package of LR and PS with 20GB of cloud storage for £9.98/month, will that allow me to carry on using LR Classic, on my Macbook, and most importantly, store all my files locally so that I'm not impacted by the 20GB storage limit? I'm not interested in storing my images in the cloud, and I'm only ever going to use my laptop for LR. Any photos I take on my phone (which aren't many) would be transferred to my Macbook, so I don't need multi-device support.

Sorry to have waffled on, but just want to be sure I'm making the right choice before I commit.

Thanks very much!

The Canon 70D has been supported by Lightroom since v5.4 Your LR6.14 should be able to import the RAW files from this camera.

That said, as a lifetime IT worker, you should know that most commercial software has always been a subscription model. You would especially know this if you worked for a large corporation. The perpetual license was an aberration of the early PC market. Technology advances usually made older versions quickly obsolete requiring a new license ever year or so.

Such is the case with the Adobe products. They abandoned the perpetual license money quite a few years back. Legacy apps like LR6 will only run as long as the hardware and operating systems continue to support them.

We are reaching EoL for LR6. Parts of it are 32 bit apps, and won’t install on 64 bit systems.

For the consumer, Adobe has two plans: The Photography Plan come with three apps. Lightroom (for the cloud), Lightroom Classic (version 10 of the product that you are now using) and Photoshop (Which used to sell as a perpetual product of over $1000USD. ) It also included 10GB of cloud storage and an unlimited amounts of cloud storage for images originating and sync’d from Lightroom Classic.
The Lightroom Plan that includes only Lightroom (for the cloud) and 1TB of storage.

Most previous Lightroom (v6) users choose the Photography plan either the 20GB plan or the 1TB plan for twice the price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes the LR/PS plan is the best option. As Hal said LR Classic (LrC) requires local file storage just like LR6. You can choose to sync to the cloud if you want to. If you do LrC only sends smart previews, not the actual files so basically no cloud storage space is used.

I have never installed Lr (LrC and PS only) and have had the plan since 2017. I don't have a single file in the cloud. The plan also comes with a personal website that is integrated with LrC. Portfolio.

I've had a look at alternatives, but nothing's leaping out at me, so I keep coming back to LR. Trouble is, given how little I use it, I'm struggling to justifying paying an ongoing monthly fee
I struggled the same as you as a long time LR6 user. I still have LR6 on an old MAC I use for travelling with.

I explored free/perpetual alternatives as it sounds like you did. I don't know how much of LR6 you use, but you also have to think about how you move information from LR6 to an alternative. Sometimes that can be done with XMP side-car but there will be pieces of information like 'History' that is only stored in the LR6 DB that is lost. If you use Map, you would likely need to rebuild those in the new software

Also, like you, I don't like 'cloudy' stuff so use Classic which keeps all the photos on my computer. I use the 'Photography' (at least that's what Adobe marketing is calling it now) to get LR Classic. I haven't installed the 'cloudy' version. A side benefit is getting access to Photoshop. I primarily use LrC but PS came in handy when I was playing around with a lens ball. I found on-line help on how to rotate the ball and remove the tripod it was on so it looked like it was floating in the air.

I think that nothing leaps out to you after investigating alternatives should be an indicator of what you like.

Thanks - I appreciate you all taking the time to reply.

Sounds like the Lightroom Photography plan is the one for me. Also, chances are that if I'm paying for it, it'll encourage me to delve a bit deeper and make more use of the product to justify the cost!

@clee01l - I've imported images from my 70D for quite some time - no idea why it's suddenly stopped working.

Thanks again - happy to close this thread.

Cheers!

Thanks - I appreciate you all taking the time to reply.

Sounds like the Lightroom Photography plan is the one for me. Also, chances are that if I'm paying for it, it'll encourage me to delve a bit deeper and make more use of the product to justify the cost!

@clee01l - I've imported images from my 70D for quite some time - no idea why it's suddenly stopped working.

Thanks again - happy to close this thread.

Cheers!
Take advantage of Portfolio. You can share collections with family, friends, etc. I had a website via Zenfolio which cost me $150 a year. With the plan I'm actually spending less every year and I get LR and PS as well.

The plan also comes with a personal website that is integrated with LrC. Portfolio.

To my knowledge, Adobe Portfolio is NOT integrated with LR Classic. Am I wrong?

Take advantage of Portfolio. You can share collections with family, friends, etc.

It's much easier to share images and collections by having them synced to the cloud. And they WILL be fully integrated with LR Classic.

To my knowledge, Adobe Portfolio is NOT integrated with LR Classic. Am I wrong?

It's much easier to share images and collections by having them synced to the cloud. And they WILL be fully integrated with LR Classic.

You have to Sync to the cloud for collections which again are only smart previews. That is what I meant by the integrated. My site is full of single uploaded images that are not in the cloud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back