• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.

LR6 freezes when plugging in any external device

lschaerer

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I installed a new Radeon HD6450 Graphics card on Wednesday. (Meets specifications as best as I can tell). Since then, if I plug anything (external hard drive or memory card reader) into any of my 4 USB ports, LR6 freezes up within seconds. If I try to close LR or click on any another window (Firefox, Photoshop, Task Manager, etc), then the windows start blending together (sorry, don't know how else to say that). Sometimes I can finally get Task Manager into a full window and end LR. Other times, I've just had to turn off my computer with the power button. I tried reinstalling the USB drivers but that didn't help. I also plugged EDs and card reader into my laptop, and they ran fine with LR6 on my laptop. I have absolutely no idea what to do. Thanks for any suggestions.

lschaerer

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I will try that. Let you know what happens.

lschaerer

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
You're a genius. That worked. I've been pulling my hair out for 3 days trying to figure out what's wrong. One more question, because I have to ask.....why did that work?

lschaerer

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Weird thing is that I can still only use one USB Hub (out of 4). When I plug any external into 3 of the 4 hubs, LR freezes up. Guess I'll have to be happy with one. (that just bugs me, though). I'll buy an adapter that I can plug several EDs into, and hope that works.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
You're a genius. That worked. I've been pulling my hair out for 3 days trying to figure out what's wrong. One more question, because I have to ask.....why did that work?
Good question, and one I can't answer. This GPU card was too much if a coincidence, so that's why I figured it had something to do with it. And because Lightroom used the GPU, it made sense to disable the connection. But why Lightroom freezes and how a GPU card is related to a disk, is another question entirely. The only thing I can think of is the power supply. The GPU draws power, and the disk does. So maybe the combination draws too much?

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Weird thing is that I can still only use one USB Hub (out of 4).
A USB Hub distributes the power supplied by the computer UNLESS it has its own power supplied (usually through a separate wall wart). If you EHDs get all of your power from the PC, tenths lack of power is likely your issue, If the EHDs are 2.5" portable EHDs they likely draw their power from the PC but may have a connector port for a separate power supply (not usually supplied). 3.5" EHDs usually come in an enclosure with a separate power supply.

If your PC is a laptop the power supply is often not adequate for more than a few peripherals. Since you mentioned upgrading the Video card I am assuming that you have a desktop and can also upgrade the power supply as well. However doing this may not give you enough power to supply peripherals via a USB hub.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
The power available from a USB port is limited by the specifications that describe the interface. Getting a larger power supply will almost certainly not supply more power to USB devices. Having a powered hub is another story.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
The power available from a USB port is limited by the specifications that describe the interface. Getting a larger power supply will almost certainly not supply more power to USB devices. Having a powered hub is another story.
The OP has "one USB Hub (out of 4) that works". The USB ports on the computer may not be getting enough power to run more than one USB Hub. This is where a larger Computer Power supply could help. But you are right, the unpowered USB Hub is only going to draw so much power from the Computer Power Supply and distribute that to all of the devices attached.

PhilBurton

Lightroom enthusiast (but still learning)
Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
The OP has "one USB Hub (out of 4) that works". The USB ports on the computer may not be getting enough power to run more than one USB Hub. This is where a larger Computer Power supply could help. But you are right, the unpowered USB Hub is only going to draw so much power from the Computer Power Supply and distribute that to all of the devices attached.
If a system power supply is so close to max output that a USB hub could freeze the system, then that system should already be massively unstable from power need fluctuations in general usage.